This question has been flagged
3 Replies

Hi every body,

I' a new Odoo partner and I would install Odoo V11 on my Macbook Pro*.

This installation will be dedicaced for training and demo purposes.

I haven't technical skills and I have read that there are several ways to install Odoo on MacOS.

What is the best way to do it :
- Use a virtualization app (Parallels or Fusion) with several Linux (Ubuntu ?) virtual machines
- Use  a virtualization app (Parallels or Fusion) with one Linux (Ubuntu ?) virtual machine + Docker
- Use Postgre Serveur with Docker for Mac ?

Thanks a lot for your advices ! 

*High Sierra 10.13.4 - 8Go - 2,9 GHz Intel Core i5 - 300 Go free space on SSD drive

Discard
Best Answer

I have learned (the hard way) that both installing & running odoo via Linux/Ubuntu VM is next to impossible.  The VM tech (Fusion, etc.) simply cannot handle the memory+processing loads demanded by running the VM parallel w/ MacOS.

I now run only web client Odoo on my Mac, and run Enterprise/Comm. Odoo in dedicated Ubuntu devices (AMD64).

VMs are cool & useful for many things, but installing/running Dbs & integrated biz apps is beyond VM capabilities, imo, and I have yet to see anyone anywhere running Odoo on VMs - it's just not practical (too slow) even if you get through the install process (which consistently freezes/crashes VMs).

Discard
Best Answer

Welcome new Odoo partner. Good that you are thinking about your Odoo environment. Now in the beginning is exactly the right time for this.

The first environments are easy to setup and get working regardless what you choose, but in the longer run right environment will help you in scaling, managing and updating your Odoo instances. You will quickly have many environments for multiple Odoo versions (9, 10, 11, 12, Community, Enterprise,...), multiple environments (dev, test, production, demo, training,...) and multiple clients. 

Containers are currently the state-of-art architecture for this purpose. I strongly recommend using Docker containers for your environments. I have used containers for a couple of years and it has helped me manage Odoo and also other environments.

You can start by installing Docker for Mac from https://store.docker.com/editions/community/docker-ce-desktop-mac. You should learn some Docker basics if containers are not familiar to you. After that you can setup your Odoo demo and training environments. You can find Odoo Docker tutorial in my blog at https://unkkuri.com/blog/unkkuri-blog-1/post/install-odoo-version-11-in-docker-container-21. I hope you find a good environment that helps your work with Odoo.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi - I just finished installing Odoo 11 CE on macOS with almost exactly your HS configuration.  I found that the macOS installation instructions on this site work well. But you should feel comfortable with the Terminal shell. No need to virtualize locally unless you prefer Ubuntu.  Same goes for Postgres: a normal Postgres install and download is enough. As always your mileage will vary, but no sweat if you are  accustomed to development on the mac.

Otherwise the Docker approaches should work also.

Discard