This question has been flagged
1 Reply

when creating a company I have seen it automatically list itself as a so called 'partner'. I am having 2 companies here (still just playing around) and somehow one of these 'partner' has become an entry in customers. This of course shouldn't be that way I guess because your own company wouldn't your own companies customer at the same time. Can somebody explain the logic of relations between a company and a partner?

Discard

All the companies you do business with are called partners, no matter you buy or sell to them. A partner company shall be a customer or a supplier.

Author

yes that sounds logical. but I was facing the fact that when I had setup my own company (I think I even did that from an employee I had created in editing "My company") this new company had an automatic partner which was itself. This automatically created partner then appeared as 'customer' which I feel is not logical.

Best Answer

Companies always have a corresponding partner object which stores the personal data. See the answer here, which helped me a lot: https://accounts.openerp.com/forum/Help-1/question/4216

When ANY partner is created it defaults to being customer, which is why your company partner appears in sales > customers. Personally, our company has found this quite useful in a multi-company setup for intercompany transfers. However, if you don't want the company to be a customer then you can untick the "Customer" box under the "Sales & Purchases" tab.

Discard
Author

I don't get that really because it is too technical for me. What I understand is that it seems to be correct that there is a 'partner' (I mean in the list view of >settings>companies) for my own company which is called the exact same. But that there is also a customer (>sales>customers) seems still not logical to me. Apart from that I have some other customers that where created automatically. One has the name of a "home address" of one of my employees as a customer name. Another one uses a part of the name of this exact same employee. Not sure whether these 3 incidents are related, though.

Updated answer with extra explanation. As for you multiple customers with odd names, that is not an problem I've ever had. Try creating a new company and see if the same issue occurs. If so, write a bug report describing your problem and version (https://bugs.launchpad.net/openobject-server), as it does not sound like something that should be happening: