This question has been flagged

What is better,

Installation from debian nightlybuild?

Installation from github odoo directory?

Installation from Source?

and why? What are the + and - of each ? What are your best ways and your experience?

Discard
Best Answer

Review the documentation and post back with specific questions perhaps?

https://www.odoo.com/documentation/9.0/setup/install.html 

Demo

the simplest "installation", only suitable for getting a quick feel for Odoo or trying something out

SaaS

trivial to start with and fully managed and migrated by Odoo S.A., can be used to both test Odoo and use it for your business, but restricts the flexibility of the system somewhat (check: no custom modules? what else?).

Can be used for both testing Odoo and long-term "production" use.

Packaged installers

simple to get started, allows more flexibility in hosting and deploying the system and greater control over where data is stored. The maintenance burden is shifted to the user.

Suitable for testing Odoo, developing modules and can be used for long-term production use with additional deployment and maintenance work.

Source Install

harder to get started than Packaged installers, provides even greater flexibility: packaged installers don't generally allow multiple running Odoo versions on the same system, and don't provide easy source access to Odoo itself.

Good for developing modules, can be used as base for production deployment.

The source code can be obtained by downloading a tarball or using git. Using git makes it easier to update, switch between multiple versions (including the current development version) or contribute.

docker image

if you usually use docker for development or deployment, an official docker base image is available, see the image's help document for more information

Discard
Best Answer

I am looking for an update on this as of 2022. Can anyone share their knowledge on above question?

Discard
Best Answer

We've encountered reproduce-able problems when using the package installers.  NOTE:: The package layout and module loading order is different from .deb installer to the source .. one would in-correctly assume that this makes little difference, however we've lost hours because stuff we develop using source runs differently when deployed with the package installer .. simply because the modules load differently when using source vs a package.  I have no idea why the hell they would make the folder structure different from the package installer to the source .. but it is different .. and it makes a difference. Use source. Trust me.

On another note .. we have contracted work with Odoo directly in the past and they very very strongly recommended to use to deploy from source.  You won't hear them say it officially so I am not going to mention the employee's name .. but I can tell you that following his recommendation would have saved us some time with at least 1 issue we found.

Source installs are *not* inherently less stable than .deb packages because the code needs to go through all the built in tests and through different dev stages before ending up in the primary version branches … e.g. from staging.10.0 branch .. through testing .. then to 10.0 branch.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi,

Installing from git is a strange habitude with Odoo is to install from a contribution/version management system which per definition quite unstable. Many do this and even recommand to do so.

Nightly builds are the same kind but snapshooted during quiet hours. It has my preference, it may be 1% more stable, who knows ?. Nevertheless, I use the sunday night nighlty build for all the week and cross fingers. I use the same during the week to have more chance to detect a default (I deliver many per day). Why sunday night ? why not !

I get the source from nightly builds because I install from sources, I have no recommandation about packages.

Bottom line: despite it should fail, it usually doesn't.

my 2 cts

Discard