This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I've installed an OpenERP 7 system on our in house server. Later when I logged into my OpenERP.com account, my inhouse system was displayed there along with its IP address and the dummy company name I used. I was pretty surprised because I don't remember approving such a thing during the installation, nor do I remember entering my OpenERP.com credentials during the installation.

1. What kind of information does OpenERP send back to OpenERP.com?
  2. Does OpenERP asks for permission to send data during the installation/configuration? (My installation went a bit rough due to quirks in my linux system so I might have approved it and don't remember. )
Discard
Best Answer

According to answer to Sorry OpenERP it was said that (help.openerp.com/question/23304/worried-about-the-sorryopenerp-campaign/):

No sensitive/critical information are sent to OpenERP, everything remains anonymous. The only information are the version, the number of users, the contract version if any, and the database ID. There are no information related to the company, the users, the employees, the invoice, or anything else.

It was also said that this can be easily deactivated by clicking some checbox. I haven't found one and when I asked question here where the checkbox for deactivation is (help.openerp.com/question/26329/how-to-deactivate-data-collection-of-openerp/) I have not yet got answer. However if you want to cut it off you can manually modify file [path to your addons]/mail/update.py modify function get_sys_log to return nothing because that is used to get data from your openERP and send it to OpenERP servers.... BUT this is not a good way (especially because this modification vanishes if you update your OE so you have to cut it off every time you update your OE) so it would be better if some one would tell how to really deactivate it.

And based on info on your question it seems that openERP is sending a lot more info than what was said so there may be other places also that are sending data.

Discard
Author

@Laura, Seems like your answer was cut short. Yes, my system somehow sent its IP address to OpenERP. I might have logged into the system with my http://OpenERP.com account, but I'm not sure. I don't think it should send its IP to http://OpenERP.com. Luckily we have the source so I'm not too worried, still would like to know what it is sending and why.

No it wasn't it just seems that when I was writing and editing I inserted some stuff in between and forgot to delete the ending part. According to that answer where I got info what they are sending reason is: "1/ Get security alerts in order to show possible updates to the admin user. 2/ Check number of users according to OpenERP Enterprise contracts" but that is not reason to send some one's IP so there may be something more...

@Doron, it seems that if you log in to you db with your openerp account it will be automatically linked into your account at least based on this http://help.openerp.com/question/20422/how-can-i-subscribe-to-openerp-enterprise-with-a-local-database/ just in case you were interested.