This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I have created a number of new fields for the Personal tab in the Employees form by going to Settings-Database Structure-Fields-Create and then adding those fields using the "Manage Views" facility. I can see that doing this has created new columns in the table 'hr_employee' by viewing it with PGAdminII. I've been advised by other forum members that a better way to create such fields would be to develop a new module and inherit views but I'm not technically capable of that (at least, not yet).

My question is whether these new fields will be preserved when I update to a newer version of OpenERP or will I need to somehow combine the customised parts of my existing installation with any newer installation?

Bill.

Discard
Best Answer

The best way to add/remove/edit OpenERP features is to develope a module. With this system you can change code, view and other things. So, you can use the some module on other installation or release it to the community to help OpenERP to improve itself. With a module you can control in a better way the modification to the OpenERP strucuture.

If you upgrade OpenERP you can lose the modification you did in the database.

This is the documentation for OpenERP 7 but if you want there are docs for 6.0 and 6.1, too

Discard
Author

Ok, thanks Francesco. I have looked at the developer documentation for OpenERP 7 but it seems to assume a lot of prior knowledge. Can you recommend a resource (a tutorial perhaps) that walks a person through the process of creating a simple module?

A bet way to develope a module is to follow the documentation and read the code of "idea" module. A simple module, in addons, used as example for benniger user.

Author

Right, I will have a look at that. In the meantime, someone may find it of interest that after backing up and updating to the latest nightly build, all of the custom fields that I had created in the Employee form were still there. I can only assume that whatever information was stored when I created the new custom fields was not overwritten when I did the update.