This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I have created some modules using vi editor , just wonder what are the tools used by folks in the community.

Discard
Best Answer

PyCharm from JetBrains is popular. It also has a free community edition.

www.jetbrains.com/pycharm

Discard
Author

How do you integrate this IDE with openerp.

What type of integration do you have in mind?

IDEs know about Python but know nothing about OpenERP. Expected functions like "Find Usages" works on Python level but you still need to search for object occurrences where they are specified as strings.

I started a small documentation project to handle this. Currently I have the data model and its relations. Still need to add processes and full "Find Uses" functionality.

Author

You just hit the question, IDEs know Python but not openerp. If you could provide some steps or how you have been using it with openerp base on your experiences, it will benefits many people in this forum. The principle of IDEs is to save time but not until we pass the learning curve.

Some IDEs are customizable and OpenERP specifics could be added. Basically you would treat OpenERP code as a new programing language. This way models would be a language construct and inheritance tree could be traversed in the IDE.

I don't have experience customizing IDEs so I'm trying to build all these relations as a web page (http://useopenerp.com/). You gave me an idea to do the same as an IDE add-on. Maybe there are others who would like to join forces on such a project?