Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

What are Product Categories used for? [Closed]

By
Ray Carnes
on 2/26/13, 1:03 PM 3,695 views

The Question has been closed

by
Ray Carnes
on 03/06/2013 01:04:10

I'd like help completing my answer (below).

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 2/26/13, 1:03 PM

In OpenERP, product categories are used when accounting transactions related to products need to use more than one account.

You would use them when you want or need:

1. different income and expense accounts for different products

2. different stock valuation accounts for different products

3. different price difference accounts (differences between the invoice price and standard price - also called purchase price variance)

Note that (3) is only applicable if you have the Anglo Saxon accounting module installed.

It is also possible to categorize products to make them easier to find, because you can filter by category. Because a product can only belong to one category, it may or may not be useful to use product categories for this purpose.

There are other modules that support products belonging to more than one category (for better integration with e-commerce systems such as Magento for example) but they require you to pick one category to be the 'master' category for each product.

To view, edit and create product categories :-

Sales → Configuration → Products → Products Categories

(and also directly from the Product form view)

To view a hierarchical list of all product categories :-

Sales → Products → Products by Category

Just note that for accounting purposes, only the immediate product category is used not categories further up the treee.

Solnet Solutions Limited, Kevin McMenamin
on 2/26/13, 4:24 PM

woulld also be worth mentioning that you can can a n-tier need category structure

Solnet Solutions Limited, Kevin McMenamin
on 2/26/13, 4:24 PM

I also discovered that pricelists can be setup to work with product categories.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 2/28/13, 10:03 PM

I have also had a lot of reflection about this issue. A big help for not having to enter too much double information is Ray's comment in front of mine, what I also discovered some days ago: To base purchase price calculation on product price depending on supplier, it is enough to insert product category to the pricelist. If product categories are properly chosen, pricelist does not have to be touched very often when adding a new product. I am using product categories to assign right accounts to every product.

NSC
on 1/10/14, 12:37 PM

So far, so good. My case a bit special: It can also occur that the same product needs to have assigned more than one accounts set. This depends on what supplier it is bought from. There are some who no purchase taxes need to be paid with. Therefore, I have to hold such products redundantly only differing in product category. Any idea if there is any way to avoid this? I have hoped to be able to connect this accounting information to the supplier, but it does not seem that this is possible.

NSC
on 1/10/14, 12:42 PM

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/26/13, 1:03 PM
Seen: 3695 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM