This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I have organised my month end dates so that each quarter starts with a 5 week month that is followed by two 4 week months - so 5-4-4, 5-4-4, 5-4-4, 5-4-4 - for Fiscal 2013.

This makes FY2013 exactly 52 weeks in duration. This makes for easy comparisons, year to year, quarter to quarter, month to month and week to week also YTD, QTD and MTD. (Unfortunately, every fifth year has 53 weeks, but you knew that).

I would like to have 52 (53) periods each year for accounting reporting purposes. Is this possible? Do I simply replace the 12 monthly periods with 52 (53) weekly periods? Will I be able to apply depreciation correctly; accruals and deferrals may also create problems?

There are some jurisdictions, particularly Germany, that use weekly accounting on an extensive basis. In this day and age, too much time has gone by to rectify problems if accounts are prepared on a monthly basis.

Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated. I am working with OpenERP v7 over PostgreSQL 9.2.3 and Python33.

R+C

Discard
Author

Does the lack of comment on this topic indicate a genuine lack of interest in weekly accounting periods? Or is v7 not used for accounting tasks?

Yeah.. it is also a new topic for me... The only thing I know is that there are editable settings at at [ Accounting Module -> Configuration -> Periods -> Periods ] It seems it is possible to add periods in there and even [ Export Periods -> Edit/Add Periods in Excel -> Import back the Periods ]

I'm new to OpenERP, but I just checked and it seems that the period between depreciation bust be specified in months. It seems that we can't avail of the automatic posting of depreciation if we want to apply it every week. It makes more sense to apply the depreciation monthly/yearly anyway.

Author

Abner - I must be spoilt, I am used to being able to automate depreciation, prepayments etc, whatever the period. Nobody likes it when items are 'missing' from accounts being discussed. Also, in some insustries, you charge development expense according to production levels.

I think it is more ideal, maybe, just not popular because most are used to a lazier monthly/yearly depreciation because they have to do it manually. I'm sure weekly periods will be useful in exposing fraud/pilferage/etc (which happens a lot) and good for cost-monitoring.

Best Answer

This is an interesting question. I never heard about an enterprise running OpenERP as you're suggesting with weekly periods.

For what i know, there shouldn't be any problem in the basic functions such as invoicing, payments recording, reconciliations... But indeed, the account_asset module is based on a computation using months as the lowest time-frame. So there you're only left with the following possibilities:

1. divide each depreciation proposed by openerp by 4 (or 5),
  2. decide not to use the asset module and manually manage your assets,
  3. propose this feature enhancement onto launchpad (make the patch, and propose for merge into the trunk)
  4. decide it's not worth the investment and do nothing :-)

BTW, you're certainly aware that in all OpenERP reports you can filter by dates, and thus make week-to-week comparison very easily without having the periods defined in another way than what the law asks you to have, don't you?

Discard

ho yes, i forgot: the accruals and defferals shouldn't make any problem neither..