Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

ValidateError product inherit

Pavel Pavlov
on 9/9/13, 4:48 PM 2,956 views

I'm trying to create simple addon to add additional field in the product page in the green area

So far I've synced latest trunc version to my PyDev ide.
Created database with some data in it and made sure openERP works.
crated new addon folder source/addons/z_fivesol/
with following files:

import z_fivesol

'name': 'Z_FiveSol Customisations',
    'version': '0.1',
    'category': 'Tools',
    'description': """Additional Product fields for internal ref code and external ref code """,
    'author': 'FiveSol',
    'depends': ['sale', 'stock', 'purchase'],
    'data': [
    'demo': [],
    'test': [],
    'installable': True,
    'auto_install': False,
    'images': [],   
    'css': [],

---> z_fivesol.py

from openerp import tools
from openerp.osv import fields, osv<br/>
from openerp.tools.translate import _
class product_product(osv.osv):
    _inherit = 'product.product'
    _name = 'product.product'
    _columns = {
                'zCodeFiveSol' : fields.char('Internal Reference', size=64, select=True),
                'zBaumCode' : fields.char('Internal Reference', size=64, select=True),

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> 
        <record id="zproduct_normal_form_view" model="ir.ui.view">
            <field name="name">product.normal.form.inherit</field>
            <field name="model">product.product</field>
            <field name="inherit_id" ref="base.view_partner_form"/>
            <field name="arch" type="xml">      
                <field name="default_code" position="after">
                    <field name="zCodeFiveSol"/>
                    <field name="zBaumCode"/>

Then I run the openERP trunc(v8) server and try to import my addon... I get quite long stack trace, so I'm adding only the last line, looks like it has the relevant information for my failure...

File "/home/pavel/openERP/v8/source/server/openerp/osv/orm.py", line 1548, in _validate raise except_orm('ValidateError', '\n'.join(error_msgs))
ParseError: "ValidateError
The field(s) 'arch, model' failed against a constraint: The model name does not exist or the view architecture cannot be rendered." while parsing /home/pavel/openERP/v8/source/addons/z_fivesol/z_fivesol_view.xml:4, near <record id="zproduct_normal_form_view" model="ir.ui.view">

I wanted to inherit the product.product model and add two fields to the database, then inherit the product_view.xml-> <page string="Information"> and add those two fields to the product view from the screenshot...
The model product.product exists, so I'd bet that I didn't do properly the naming of the record that I want to modify and the definition of where I want to put the fields... or maybe should have used different names in the .py file... but I found the docu quite confusing and failed to identify my error...Looking forward to your replies. Thank you!

Pavel Pavlov

Grover Menacho

--Grover Menacho--
| 5 7 8
La Paz, Bolivia
--Grover Menacho--

Systems Engineer + MBA

Grover Menacho
On 9/9/13, 5:36 PM

Actually I couldn't see v8 code, but it seems that you have some mistakes on your code.

'depends': ['sale', 'stock', 'purchase'],

Add product

<field name="inherit_id" ref="base.view_partner_form"/>

You have to inherit the product view, something like this:

<field name="inherit_id" ref="product.product_normal_form_view"/>

I think that it's going to work after this, tell me how it goes.

Hello, Looks like I overlooked when I was copy-pasting and merging different examples.I changed __openerp__.py -> 'depends': ['product', 'sale', 'stock', 'purchase'] and 2. Changed z_fivesol_view.xml <field name="inherit_id" ref="product.product_normal_form_view"/>. This time it imported properly and displayed the fields where I want. Thank you a lot for the prompt response! Regards, Pavel

Pavel Pavlov
on 9/9/13, 5:49 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 9/9/13, 4:48 PM
Seen: 2956 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM