Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

[v8] WMS, MFG, and full lot traceability: What am I missing? [Closed]

By
Ben Olsen
on 8/27/14, 1:02 PM 2,502 views

The Question has been closed for reason: not relevant or out dated

by
Ben Olsen
on 11/17/2014 18:21:50

This is specific to the new WMS/stock management in v8, and I can't find any good explanations of how this should work. At my company we need full lot traceability (we need traceability on everything), but when I enable full lot traceability for products and put them through a manufacturing process, I get stuck with an error about serial numbers. Here's a simple use case:

I define two products, miniwidget and bigwidget. The bigwidget has a simple BOM, it is made of 5 miniwidgets. Under the Inventory tab on both products, I click "full lot traceability." 

So now I create a purchase order for 20 miniwidgets, confirm the invoice, and go to receiving. When receiving the products, it seems the prcess forces me to go to the new barcode scanning interface. That's fine in this case, I suppose, but I wonder it there's a way to receive items while staying in the admin web site. Anyway, on this screen, I have to click the settings icon and select "Create / Change Lot" and enter in a lot number. Is there a way to use a barcode scanner to do this automatically, or will receiving always have to click this icon and set the lot number? It seems the rest of the interface is set up to just accept barcode numbers and search the appropriate models correctly, but lot number doesn't work for me.

Now, once the units have all been scanned (or manually received), I can process the move and go back to the admin interface. I create a manufacturing order to create a bigwidget, which automatically creates some stock moves for the miniwidgets. It works up to the point of confirming the manufacturing order, but this is where I get stuck.

First, it creates two stock moves, which confuses me. The first one is from WH/Stock to Physical Locations/Production Floor (which I created), and that makes sense. But the second one is from Physical Locations/Production Floor to Virtual Locations/Production, which I did not create, and I don't understand the purpose for. (There's a third move for the bigwidget from Virtual Locations/Production to WH/Stock, which I guess makes sense, but I'd rather not use the intermediate virtual location).

Second, when I go to that first stock move, from WH/Stock to Physical Locations/Production Floor, I can't process it. I have stock on hand, but when I click Process, I get this error:

"You must assign a serial number for the product Widget"

I understand that it wants to know which lot these widgets are coming from, but there's no where in the interface to set that (at least not that I can see). I've set all my products to FIFO for removal, so shouldn't the system just pick some automatically? Also on this stock move, I noticed that there's a section for Reserved Quants, but there's nothing there. Obviously that's a problem, but I can't seem to create reserved quants by hand, and the system isn't doing it for me, so what do I do? How do I tell this stock move which lot/serial to pull from when filling this manufacturing order?

Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I am just starting out with Odoo and evaluating it's suitability in terms of full lot tracibility. I am facing the exact same problems you're describing. The process seems to be really convoluted at the moment, especially the four/five step process (leave admin interface, click icon to bring up menu, click "create lot" to bring up dialog, enter lot into dialogue, click ok to return) it makes the process really long and tedious.

James Daven
on 10/31/14, 3:30 PM
A lot of the issues actually got fixed by the Odoo folks, as far as getting the interface to prompt you for a lot/serial when doing stock moves. Hats off to jco-odoo and crew for catching most of the cases. If I remember correctly, there's still an issue when doing an intermediary stock move for manufacturing with routing. For example:
MO raw materials location: WH/Stock (default setting)
MO routing that has Production Location: Production Floor (custom setting)
Mfg consuming location: Virtual Locations/Production (default setting)

Last I checked, that middle step doesn't have a good prompt for setting the lot/serial and gets stuck. I've been buried in rewriting the timesheets stuff for the last month and haven't taken a close look at it in a while, so that may have changed. But that's definitely something that will need to be addressed at our company before we can go live, so I'll have to get to it fairly soon.

Now, if you're not using mfg routes with custom locations, everything should be working pretty well with the current code. You don't need to jump out to the picking interface (though you still can, of course). The admin interface has appropriate fields to put in the lot/serial for most workflows, just keep your eyes open and you should see them. If you not sure about a specific case, describe and I'll try going through it too.

Ben Olsen

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM, James Daven <james@oceancave.com> wrote:

Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I am just starting out with Odoo and evaluating it's suitability in terms of full lot tracibility. I am facing the exact same problems you're describing. The process seems to be really convoluted at the moment, especially the four/five step process (leave admin interface, click icon to bring up menu, click "create lot" to bring up dialog, enter lot into dialogue, click ok to return) it makes the process really long and tedious.

--
James Daven
Sent by OpenERP S.A. using Odoo about Forum Post [v8] WMS, MFG, and full lot traceability: What am I missing?

Ben Olsen
on 10/31/14, 4:10 PM

Thanks James, that's very useful to know. I'm very new to Odoo and still working out how we would implement it, I've posted in detail our current process with QuickBooks Enterprise here: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/switching-from-quickbooks-enterprise-lot-tracking-67165 I don't really understand where to input lot numbers for goods received (for example, there is not lot field in Purchases->Incoming Products). And where to specify the lot numbers for goods sold (as we do currently on QuickBooks invoices, I don't see a way to specify the lot for a product on an invoice or a sales order - perhaps I have something setup incorrectly).

James Daven
on 10/31/14, 4:25 PM

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

3 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/27/14, 1:02 PM
Seen: 2502 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM