This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I want to add a translation to a module [l10n_cn] and I think that should be done using so called .po files (that seem to be stored in a folder called "i18n")

now, in my case there is no i18n folder and no .po files. I am completely in the dark how this is supposed to work, but from looking at other Modules I have the feeling these .po files can be generated automatically and you can use these aut generated templates to add your translated terms

1. Is my feeling correct?
  2. if 'yes' ... how can that be done?

EDIT: the Module I want to add a translation to is l10n_cn which is the Chinese Chart of Accounts. This is part of the base Modules that are being shipped with the standard odoo Installation

Discard

Is this a module that you have created, that the community has written or was developed by odoo? It sounds like you have a new module and want to create translation files for it from scratch.... Is that correct?

Best Answer

You can generate a template file .po : - use menu  \settings\translations\export translation - select "po file" and "your module to export" - click on "export" button

Discard
Author

yes, that was what I was looking for, thanks.

Best Answer

Hi Gunnar

You have two options here:
1)You can simply create the new folder in your module (i18n) and then create a new .po file (cn.po for example)
Add all the translations in it as you wish and then simply update the module.

2) Use the import/export function under settings > Translations. You can then first export the translations for a given module, make the translations in the file and finally import it under 'Import Translations'.

Note: Sadly .po files seem to be a hit and miss though, I've had numerous problems with them not working and loading and...

Best of luck

Discard
Author

my problem is: I don't know how to setup a .po file because I don't understand the code. In other modules I have seen there are many, many .po files which do not contain any translations yet, so they look more like a 'template'. Don;t know why maybe it was wishful thinking that somewhat seeded the idea in my head you could create such a "template" .po in an automated way.

If you don't see translations in a .po file this means there are probably no translations made for that language. Have a look at another .po file in your language and you'll see its fairly easy. The format is always the same you only need to change the name ref, the original source value and the translation. Let me know what kind of detail you need and I'll extend my answer :)