Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

User in Mutli Company Environment

on 12/2/13, 3:38 AM 1,139 views

Hi All,

We are exploring Openerp and want to work in a Mutli Company environment. We have a holding company with 2 sub companies.

We are wondering whether it's possible to create an user which can work in all 3 companies, without the hassle of logging in and out each time to switch between companies?

Thanks in advance!

BR Bas

On 12/2/13, 7:06 AM

You can't reliably work in two or three companies at the same time. I don't know of any ERP system that lets you do that (SAP, Navision etc. all make you specify clearly in what Company you want to work. In Openerp you have to "login" in a specific company to work in it. You can do that by changing the company in "Preferences" under your username in the upper right corner.
Be careful with a Holding and sub's, because it seems, that you can work in all three, but also in that situation you have to set your preferences. To see postings in all three companies and still only to be able to work in one can be very confusing with possibly postings in the wrong company as a result. It is a bit like working as "admin", which is, from a bookkeeping point of view, quite dangerous.

Jaakko Komulainen
On 12/2/13, 3:59 AM

You can add companies to user from the user's setting / access rights / allowed companies.

Hope this helps.

Yves Geoffroy
On 6/17/14, 6:38 AM

Same problem here. A user that has allowed companies A and B but not the parent company can access only, for example, analytic accounts (from timesheet) from the company specified in the Preferences and not the other one.

On 12/2/13, 5:47 AM

Thank you Jaakko!

I already found this option. However it seems the user should belong to the holding company, if i have an user who works for sub company A, and has also rights to sub company B, but won't see sub company b, unless he is member from the holding.

Is their a way to work around this?

Also is it possible to lock a customer to a Sub Company? As a user member of the holding i'm able to quote a sales order from a sub company b, however the customer belongs to sub company a.

Your workflow seems a little confusing to me so I'd like to clarify. I have a similar setup, but people who have access to the holding company have access to the sub companies as well. They are like executives. Then, someone has access to sub a can also have access to sub b, but not to holding. Now, you say you want someone who has access to sub a and sub b because they are a member of holding to not actually have access to sub b. This doesn't make sense. If you have access to the parent, you will have access to the children.

Elephante, Sean Samborski
on 12/17/13, 2:36 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Asked: 12/2/13, 3:38 AM
Seen: 1139 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM