Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

"Update follow quantity" tracking?

By
Luis Leiva
on 4/23/13, 1:09 PM 1,526 views

The "Update" button allows to update the "Quantity on hand" from many views. But I can't find how to keep a good track of who? and why? the quantities where changed. It seems of the utmost importance to have this tracking because every other stock management would mean nothing if users can just change the quantity at hand and you can't keep record of who or why did it. If you remove the rights to change this quantity then the user cannot deliver products.

Am I missing something??

Shane
On 6/6/13, 7:34 PM

I and others had this same question today in the Functional Training class. The trainer indicated that there is no simple "out of the box" way to see who or why when an update happens. But you can install the "Audit Trail" module and then create an audit rule that records a log every time a quantity is updated. It is also said to be an easy and small customization to log the user and a reason for such updates. But customization is out of the scope of the basic training.

This power to create a custom solution is a great thing about OpenERP. But this particular issue seems like an obvious flaw in even the most basic inventory management system. I haven't looked, but I would hope this minor but critical feature is on the project plan somewhere.

1. Install "Audit Trail"
  2. Go to "Reporting: Auditing: Audit Rules"
  3. Create a new rule with "Change Product Quantity",
  4. Check "Log Writes, Log Creates, Log Deletes"
  5. Click "Subscribe" (not sure what that does)
  6. Save

That's what I remember from the Q&A anyway. It doesn't seem to do anything when I try to replicate for answering you here. But it's probably close enough to figure out the rest.

Ideally the system would automatically tack the user on to any stock move and offer to record a reason with it. It should not be default behavior to move stock without recording who did it.

If I have time to work out the customization to make it work intuitively without the audit trail setup, I'll come back and post here. Until then, lacking a complete solution, I hope these ideas help in some way.

Maybe a more experienced user can describe a solution.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 4/23/13, 1:09 PM
Seen: 1526 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM