Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Tools / IDE for OpenERP7 source and report development

Benoy P P
on 3/11/13, 6:10 PM 12,942 views

Hi, I would like to know what all tools and IDEs are useful in the OpenERP development, especially for modifying the source codes (python,scripts etc) and the reports.

With Thanks and Regards Benoy

Thanks for the tip with Adminer!

Xavier Guerra
on 6/24/14, 2:51 PM

Daniel Reis

--Daniel Reis--
| 6 7 9
Lisbon, Portugal
--Daniel Reis--

Author of the "Odoo Development Essentials" book.

Applications Manager at Securitas Portugal

Github: https://github.com/dreispt

Twitter; @reis_pt

Daniel Reis
On 4/11/13, 12:51 PM

Unlike other opinions, I think that a good IDE is very important: it can make you more productive and help you spot errors and bugs.

Personally, I switch between Windows and Ubuntu desktops, so it should be platform independent.

Regarding Python code:

I have tried Eclipse with PyDev but I feel like it's too "heavy" for me.

I use NinjaIDE has a nice look and feel, and proactively checks your code, including PEP8. On the downside, it's rather recent and I feel that it still misses some features.

image description

Sometimes I go back to Spyder IDE - not as sexy as NinjaIDE but it's loaded with features and still an excellent option.

image description

You will also be editing a lot of XML, for views, reports, data, etc. So it's good to have a good XML editor, or you'll only discover you forgot to close a tag when you test the form in your browser.

AFAIK Pyhton IDEs usually don't do a great job here, and I haven't found a good cross-platform solution for this. Most of the time I use simple editors such as gedit on Ubuntu and Notepad++ on Windows. On Windows WMHelp XmlPad has given good service on validating XML correctness, but I'm not sure it's under development any more.

image description

My only gripe with an IDE is the I. I think we all use a development environment that makes us more productive and helps us find errors. For somebody this means a tool like Eclipse. In my case it means vim, zsh and the slew of tools that a BSD or Linux system gives to me. I've written loads of shell and python scripts that help me to more productive, I use vim plugins that make my editor behave and I've crafted my vim and zsh configuration files. It may take some time to set up, but the end result is very pleasant and does not eat up all of your RAM.

Lorenzo Cabrini
on 4/11/13, 1:15 PM

Vim can be a great tool - it's cross-platform, stands as a full featured IDE with the right plugins, and can be unbeatable in the productivity chapter. I'm just not experienced enough with it to recommend it myself, and you must recognize that the learning curve is not for everyone.

Daniel Reis
on 4/11/13, 1:21 PM

UPDATE: I was finally conquered by Vim and seldom use any of the above now.

Daniel Reis
on 10/10/13, 8:55 AM
David Béal
On 3/11/13, 7:38 PM

My favorite IDE is Komodo Edit because :

• It's a really customizable tool : macro (js or python), integrated access to shell cmd
  • built on mozilla firefox framework (with add-on system)
  • it can use vim's snippet : i have a script to convert vim snippet to komodo snippet (abbreviations)
  • conditionnal snippets in v8 ; who else ?
  • pylint integration
  • It have a flexible project management
  • It's an advanced IDE but also lightweight

And for database access, i recommend Adminer, better than PGadmin because you may access to tables with an url. It's also a phpmyadmin killer

How can I download vim and use it in ubuntu?

Sudhir Arya (SA)
on 4/11/13, 9:00 AM

download what ? adminer, komodo ? http://www.activestate.com/komodo-edit/downloads

Akretion, David Béal
on 4/11/13, 9:02 AM

Does it work well with XML also? (highlight tags, autocomplete, correctness validation) EDIT: yes it does! Going to give a good try at Komodo, thank for sharing.

Daniel Reis
on 4/11/13, 1:38 PM

Big Thanks for the tip with Adminer

Alain Ivars
on 7/29/13, 9:21 AM

Francesco OpenCode

--Francesco OpenCode--
| 5 7 9
Grottaglie, Italy
--Francesco OpenCode--

Italian Odoo (OpenERP) Modules Developer LINKEDIN: http://www.linkedin.com/in/francescoapruzzese

Francesco OpenCode
On 4/11/13, 8:34 AM

I use geany and my own snippets to write code faster.

If you want try them you can download them here: https://github.com/OpenCode/geany-openerp I create a rapid script to create OpenERP module skeleton too. , For the report with mako I use geany, too. For the aeroo report libreoffice.

| 2 1 4
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Python developer, big fan of sailing

On 3/11/13, 7:15 PM

I am old school but my favorite one is vim

This is a little terse. Vim out of the box is almost useless, but with plugins it can match best-in-breed editors. It would be nice if you could give some more guidance on this.

Daniel Reis
on 4/11/13, 1:26 PM

There's a nice guide here for I'm afraid it's not suitable for people new to vim ...

Daniel Reis
on 4/11/13, 1:36 PM

VIM is extremely powerful, but has an equally extremely significant learning curve. For a fun introduction, check out this 'game' approach to learning - http://vim-adventures.com/

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 4/11/13, 2:45 PM

with a couple of commands you are able to do anything with vim. vim by itself is quite powerful

on 4/11/13, 2:51 PM

and thanks for the tip with vim-adventures!

on 4/11/13, 2:51 PM
Lorenzo Cabrini
On 4/11/13, 11:16 AM

Any text editor or IDE that supports Python should be suitable. It's more a matter of personal preferences. In my case that would be vim, but emacs, nano, gedit, kate, and many others will work equally well. I don't know very much about IDEs, but Eclipse, Netbeans, Anjuta and KDevelop should all support Python (at least I think they do).

When it comes to reports, it has already been mentioned that it depends on the type of reports you are creating. For Aeroo reports any ODF-capable word processor should do. This includes LibreOffice/OpenOffice, KOffice/Calligra, and others.

In summary, choose the tools that you feel comfortable with, that you know how to configure to your liking and which stays out of your way. If you need to spend more time toying around with your editor/IDE than producing code then you have a problem.

Stefan Reisich

--Stefan Reisich--
| 7 7 8
Pfungstadt, Germany
--Stefan Reisich--
Stefan Reisich
On 4/11/13, 8:17 AM

I have changed to PyCharm 3.0. It is much cleaner, faster and the remote debugger(Pro Edition) works very well. Also I like the dark theme which gives me more overview.

image description

Even i am with PyDev plug in from Eclipse..

Benoy P P
on 4/29/13, 5:28 PM

| 5 6 8
Cornwall, Canada

Analysing, designing, coding and mentoring since 1975. Kilobytes to terabytes. Punch cards to punchy sites. My OpenERP video series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq7op4J183lX44ZlXPiHxUpRvmmRDtxye My Google Speadsheets --> OpenERP Data Pump project: http://martinhbramwell.github.io/GData_OpenERP_Data_Pump My email (with spaces removed) : mhb . warehouseman @ gmail . com

On 4/11/13, 5:52 PM

Dia is an interesting option worth knowing about, if you face heavy documentation requirements or want to mess with MDA (model driven architecture)

Another option I like very much, despite the little problems of a beta stage tool, is ICEcoder. As a very lightweight PHP & JavaScript tool you can read and write server side files with only a browser.