Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

To Multi-Company or not?

By
Dan
on 2/1/16, 4:27 PM 673 views

I am trying to decide how to set up my Odoo for the first time. I have several brands, drawing on the same inventory, but with different names/sku's for each brand. Currently I run everything through the same accounting books (one company). It is one company financially, but sales flow is different for each brand. (wholesale vs retail). I have not been able to find a clear definition of what Multi-company actually is, though it seems like from the various comments I have read, that it may be my preferred path. SO my question: Is multi-company the best way to set this up? If not, are there any other best-practices?

Nilim
On 2/4/16, 5:26 AM

Hi Dan,

W.r.t your query, I have gone through it and tried to replicate it . Few recommendations which I would like to suggest you are :-

1. The Multi Company concept basically means managing in a same database different companies that share information like Address Book, Products Catalog

2. As in your case you have several brands, drawing on the same inventory, but with different names/sku's for each brand hence by maintaining Multi Company you would be able to share the parent company's informations to the child companies.

3. Please go through the below links which clearly explains the business scenarios where you can use the multi company concept

\http://www.slideshare.net/openobject/francois-multi-company

4. Also this document link would also help you in understanding the Multi company concept in Odoo

https://doc.odoo.com/book/multi/

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)

--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--
| 6 8 8
fsdsdfsdf, Belgium
--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--

Odoo Founder & CEO

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
On 2/1/16, 7:44 PM

You need to work with one company only as companies are related to legal entities. You might use multiple warehouses, pricelists, product categories to separate your activities.

Dan
On 2/2/16, 9:43 AM

Thank you Fabien!  So my next question is, how do I set up multiple distinct brands with different logos, product names and product sku's while drawing on the same inventory?  My situation cannot be unique, so I imagine the solution has been created by others before, but I have not found a "best practices" guide for this...

Also, if I have DBA's for each brand (DBA = Doing Business As = separate business names for each brand) does this still hold true? 

Thank you again for your quick response!

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 2/1/16, 4:27 PM
Seen: 673 times
Last updated: 3/7/16, 9:46 AM