Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Struggling with BoMs in OpenERP

By
Sepehr Kiani
on 4/24/13, 2:09 AM 3,292 views

We are in process of implementing OpenERP 6.1 and I'm very much struggling with the BoM concept in OpenERP. Hoping someone can help me. Our products have very large complex multilevel BoMs with potential of significant product reuse. Maybe the problem I'm having is my (or our consultant's) understanding of how the system works. Here are a few problems:

1. The parent BoM is defined by the child BoM. I'm completely mystified why it was architected this way. This leads to some very odd situation with revision where editing a field in a child part actually revises the parent, not the child. I'm struggling with how to manage this with our Document Control process. Typically if you have a Change Order for an assembly only that assembly can be modified. Here I have to issue a change order to higher assembly but actually edit the child assembly.

2. The BoM is tied to a product but can have a separate name. I'm no sure why you would ever want that. It is leading to all sorts of consistency problems trying to keep the two the same. The other very substantial confusion comes about when creating or importing (most of products are designed in Solidworks so we typically start with an imported BoM from there) the multilevel BoM. For example if I have an assembly "A" that calls for component/Product "B" and I just select Product "B" I get a flat BoM, however since Product "B" is an assembly I don't want to add product "A" to the BoM. What I have to do is edit the BoM for Product "B" and assign it's parent to be Product"B"'s BoM. This process is extremely confusing and has all the errors that come with duplicate data.

3. In addition to item 2 above. Assigning a parent to the child means that that child can only have one parent. There may be a way to do this with Phantoms but not clear to me how, again any clarifications would be helpful.

"The BoM is tied to a product but can have a separate name. I'm no sure why you would ever want that" -- I would like to know this too.

Vinicius Massuchetto
on 2/2/14, 9:31 PM

Hi all,

I have no answer, but we are fighting with same problems !!! (Version 6.1) One other is: How to plase a manufactoring order so, that all "child"-BoM's are affected automatically.

In the official doc I found a very confusing sentens: Chapter: Phantom Bills of Materials¶ "If you only want a single production order for the complete shelf, and not one for the BoM itself, you can define the BoM line corresponding to product RCK100 in the shelf’s BoM as type Sets/Phantom. Then OpenERP will automatically put RCK100‘s BoM contents into the shelf’s production order, even though it has been defined as multi-level."

What is a "BoM line"???? There a more than 10 lines to put data in, but no one is called "BoM line!!!!

How shall I modify the "type" The only line I can specify the BoM type is preset with "Normal BoM" OR "Phantom BoM". I see no way to set any type?!?!?!?

What a bad description!

peterm
On 11/29/13, 5:48 AM

Even this is a relative old thread, I'm coming around the same thing and I found a PLM module that gives me 70% of solution to my issues. I hope yours too: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openerpplm/ .

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 4/24/13, 2:09 AM
Seen: 3292 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM