This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I notice that item standard cost for items with variant is available only at the variant level not for the parent item.

This was a change in v10, that I think is a shame.

The variant standard cost is good to keep but I think the parent item should have a standard cost too.

Any thoughts?

Discard
Best Answer

Hello Mark,

Cost of the product should be at the variant level, keeping the cost of product on template doesn't really required.

For eg, You have two variants for iPhone; Grey and White. You will purchase a variant from a vendor not a template. The same way when you have set the real time costing method on the product category system will look for the product variant's cost not the product template ones.

Can you give me your use case which can be helpful for the feedback ?

Discard
Author Best Answer

Hello Yash, 

Thanks for the update.

I understand this case for supplier ordering.

My case is a practical one for cost control. Some items have a cost and some don't.

If I could extract a list of product item costs such that if the item has variants then I see the variant item and cost, if there is no variant then I see the cost of the parent item.

Regards

Mark

Discard

In that case, you should always extract a list of product variant costs, so even if the product doesn't have variant it will come up with the cost price.