Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

stable openerp version

on 3/14/13, 6:30 AM 2,183 views

Hey there,

I think about using openerp in future. I would like to install it on a virtual debian machine. I do not find any information about system requirements. What are the minimum requirements if I use it just by myself ?

I found several instruction's to install it on a debian squeeze dist, but everytime they use a nightly link (something like that: nightly.openerp.com). Are this versions stable or nightly versions? Where can I download the stable version?

Tanks for your help.

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)

--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--
| 6 8 8
fsdsdfsdf, Belgium
--Fabien Pinckaers (fp)--

Odoo Founder & CEO

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
On 3/14/13, 7:01 PM

Unless you need community modules that are not ported to v7 yet (like Morocan Payroll module as reported by ahmed), you should definetly use the version 7.

It's the latest version, it's a long term support version (like v6.0 but not like v6.1) and, even if it's a very new version, it's already quite stable.

Nightly builds do not mean it's not stable. We do nightly builds for development versions (called trunk) and for stable versions too. It does not mean you get all the latest developed features in the stable version. The stable version only has bugfix improvements.

As people download the nightly build, they get the latest fix applied. (and everything goes to one or more code review process and automated tests before being merge, so the nightly build is ok)

Wow I'm totally fascinated about the fast and professional support (on a open source project). Thank you! So you may have an answer to my (2) other questions? 1. Minimal system requirements (RAM, CPU) on a debian system with just one client? 2. Is there a debian repo for version 7, or how can update?

on 3/14/13, 7:16 PM

I was thinking about a the same thing (starting with v6 now due to being 'safe') but as a beginner you would be learning a new system. Sooner or later you will have to go for 7 and I understand the whole interface has changed, so you would be starting fresh again .... one have to consider the pros and cons carefully I'd say. Furthermore in our case: I think we might need some of the community modules ("product_custom_attributes" for example). I couldn't test them yet though because they are not ported, so I even can't say really. felong a little 'lost between version' right now.

on 3/14/13, 11:07 PM

I started an online demo account and added some modules. So all modules I have seen are available for v7?

on 3/15/13, 5:25 AM
On 3/14/13, 6:39 AM

I think my little experiment follows that the most stable version that esi version 6.0

So 7.0 cannot use productivly? Do you also know sth. about the system requirements?

on 3/14/13, 8:45 AM

yes version 7.0 is so new, I personally have found many problems with the Moroccan moudule pay but with 6.0 it works very well. and also there is not a lot of plug-compatible with version 7.0

on 3/14/13, 8:59 AM

Thanks for your fast reply. I looked around and saw @wikipedia that 6.1 is also stable?! What's about an upgrade (later) to a stable 7.0, this will be complicated? Or can I use the normal paketmanage like apt-get for it?

on 3/14/13, 10:11 AM

yes of course version 7.0 will also be stabilized

on 3/15/13, 6:35 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 3/14/13, 6:30 AM
Seen: 2183 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM