Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Spammers are happy! - Spam indexed by Google and other spiders! - Why?

By
zbik
on 12/21/14, 8:30 AM 1,349 views

Why spam, marked as closed question, are still available for indexing!?
Why is not immediately deleted!?
Forum acts as a link farm! Spammers are happy!

Updated 10.01.2015: nofollow code has not yet be applied to odoo.com. Sadly...

I emailed your tread to development.

Stephen Mack
on 12/21/14, 10:30 AM

Closed spam post (possible that not only spam) should be not available for anonymous (for example spider).

zbik
on 12/21/14, 12:43 PM

@zbik, I only have enough karma to close spam threads at this point in time and currently I do not have the required 1000 points to be able to delete the spam posts. I make a point of weeding through any I find when I visit the forums, however I agree that closing them without deleting them completely is not necessarily a bad thing for the spammers, as they still have backlinks to their websites from the Odoo.com domain. I think perhaps there needs to be a reporting mechanism for spam posts, where those with a designated level of karma can flag spam posts for the Odoo team (or those with higher karma) to be notified this would help immensely. I think if a post has been closed as spam by someone with enough karma the post should then be hidden from view to the public, and spiders. This will help discourage spammers, as from what I can tell at the moment, these spam posts are being created manually. If their posts are not worth the effort they will eventually move on.

Luke Branch
on 12/21/14, 9:33 PM

Google is a cache hampset... and keeps cached pages for a loong time:) So, i would hope that odoo admins find a way to limit robots from accesing suspicious pages, and agile users to keep this forum clean with prompt deleting of such posts:)

Bole
on 12/22/14, 3:13 AM

Honestly we as users can do a lot about this. We can prevent them from showing up in Google or atleast push them down A LOT. Every spam thread that I find I'll do the same too. First downvote, then close, then delete and then editie the topic to remove all links and personalia details. This way they will not be able to be contacted and the interesting parts are out of the topic. Honestly everybody should do this.. And perhaps even delete the titles and only leave like one line in the post. This way there will be no good indexing on Google!

Yenthe
on 1/10/15, 9:50 AM

Remove content, YES, it is good idea!

zbik
on 1/10/15, 10:01 AM

downvoting and deleting do not have any effect. Closing a post for reason of spam is enough to keep the user from posting again. And a deleted thread is still anonymously readable and indexable by Google. Deleting the content would help however I am to the point that if Odoo does not care, why should I. Yes I will delete spam but I don't know if I have the sustained energy to edit all that content. This should not discourage others from doing what they feel is best for the community.

Stephen Mack
on 1/10/15, 10:27 AM

Hmm yes it is a lot of hassle for something that doesn't help you a lot but I hate spammers. I wouldn't say they don't care but its probably rather low on their priority list and they got plenty of other work open for Odoo itsself.. So I guess its a choice of priority

Yenthe
on 1/10/15, 10:30 AM

Seems that maybe my wishlist issue #3460 might be making some headway. https://github.com/odoo/odoo/issues/3460

Stephen Mack
on 1/10/15, 11:04 AM

Stephen Mack

--Stephen Mack--
| 8 8 9
Santiago, Chile
--Stephen Mack--

Some people call me a karma whore, I only ask for 10 points if you like my answer and 15 if I happen to get it correct.

Stephen Mack
On 12/21/14, 10:19 AM

All users with less than 500 karma points have their links marked as rel="nofollow" so the search bots do not index their links.  It is helpful to have a record of posts that were closed as spam.  And odoo does delete the accounts from time to time.

Not saying it's the best way to deal with the problem but only that it is the current solution.

However I do see your point, even deleted posts are still accessible in Google. (I believe that these are before the nofollow tag was added)

UPDATE: Seems that maybe my wishlist issue #3460 might be making some headway. 

I was looking in closed spam. I did not find there nofollow?

zbik
on 12/21/14, 10:43 AM

Confirmed that the nofollow code has not yet be applied to odoo.com Sadly...

Stephen Mack
on 12/21/14, 11:34 AM

The patch should apply to any link posted by a user with karma lower than 500. This one posted two days ago does not have the nofollow tag: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/63046/#answer-71100

Stephen Mack
on 12/21/14, 12:14 PM

Today I closed the post, nofollow lack

zbik
on 12/23/14, 11:41 AM

Today I closed many posts, nofollow lack :(

zbik
on 1/10/15, 5:54 AM

The nofollow code was committed to the master branch and not the 8.0 branch. Not sure they have plans to back port it. See GitHub Issue in my answer above.

Stephen Mack
on 1/10/15, 11:24 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

4 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 12/21/14, 8:30 AM
Seen: 1349 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM