Odoo Help

1 Answer
Sebastien Alix
3/4/14, 4:54 AM

Hi, I'm the developer of OERPLib, I will try to answer your questions about it.

At first, OERPLib is not official, as the openerp-client-lib is (developed and supported by OpenERP SA, as it is claimed on the github page that you linked). AFAIK, openerp-client-lib was used in some controlers of the 'web' addon in 6.1 (apparently it's not the case anymore since OpenERP 7.0, but I could be wrong).

The goal of OERPLib is to provide a simple and well-documented API ("if it isn't documented, it doesn't exist", writting the documentation takes more time than writting the code, but it's a very important point for a library), and support as much as possible the different versions of OpenERP over the time. Currently, unit tests run well on OpenERP 8.0/trunk.

Regarding the features, OERPLib provides a simulated 'browse()' method and 'browse_record' (useful when debugging and inspecting data), a user-context automatically sent, keywork parameters to OSV methods, download reports, manage databases and so on... Also, an experimental support to JSON-RPC is implemented (just a low-level connector right now, but a higher level implementation can be achieved quiet easily, I'm just lacking of time to do it).

In the company where I work (ABF-Osiell), we use OERPLib a lot to process and import data, or as a debug tool when developing, or also to control/inspect on the fly complex data on customer servers.

And about developing, a new tool named Mandibule aims in some ways to be a GUI to OERPLib (it generates model relationships and module dependencies graphs at this time): http://mandibule.bitbucket.org/

So, to answer your first question: use the one you prefer :)

4 Comments
Thinkwell Designs, Dave Burkholder
3/4/14, 9:52 AM

I prefer the one with documentation; thank you for your work on OERPLib!

Martin
3/4/14, 12:25 PM

Sebastian, I used the official, but seemingly dormant, library for my Google spreadsheets to OpenERP data pump: http://martinhbramwell.github.io/GData_OpenERP_Data_Pump/. Today I am replacing it with yours.

Martin
3/4/14, 3:37 PM

Oh, and . . . I very much want to check out Mandibule as soon as I can. Thanks for mentioning it! In the meantime you might like a video series I made that I call "DevOps for OpenERP". http://blog.warehouseman.com/2014/02/step-00-handbook-for-devops-for-openerp.html It shows how I created a cloud-based environment for administering my client's OpenERP (and other stuff) installations.

Sebastien Alix
3/4/14, 4:47 PM

Indeed, it is a subject that may raise my interest, I will take a look thanks! (I see you've chose SaltStack, from my side I use Ansible but Salt was in the balance).

Ask a Question
Writer
Keep Informed
1 follower(s)
About This Community

This platform is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Register
Odoo Training Center

Access to our E-learning platform and experience all Odoo Apps through learning videos, exercises and Quizz.

Test it now