Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Should I use [oerplib] OR [openerp-client-lib] ?

By
Martin
on 3/2/14, 7:04 PM 3,465 views

I have been using the openerp-client-lib library to simplify XMLRPC. I'm finding it has limited documentation. Worse I have a mysterious error under both OpenERP V7 & V8.

When I use oerplib, the same operation works correctly on V7 & V8.

I'd like to ask please:

1. Which of the two is preferred?
  2. Are they both "official"?
  3. Will both have ongoing support?
  4. Do they do exactly the same things, or does each offer capabilities the other lacks?
Sebastien Alix
On 3/4/14, 4:54 AM

Hi, I'm the developer of OERPLib, I will try to answer your questions about it.

At first, OERPLib is not official, as the openerp-client-lib is (developed and supported by OpenERP SA, as it is claimed on the github page that you linked). AFAIK, openerp-client-lib was used in some controlers of the 'web' addon in 6.1 (apparently it's not the case anymore since OpenERP 7.0, but I could be wrong).

The goal of OERPLib is to provide a simple and well-documented API ("if it isn't documented, it doesn't exist", writting the documentation takes more time than writting the code, but it's a very important point for a library), and support as much as possible the different versions of OpenERP over the time. Currently, unit tests run well on OpenERP 8.0/trunk.

Regarding the features, OERPLib provides a simulated 'browse()' method and 'browse_record' (useful when debugging and inspecting data), a user-context automatically sent, keywork parameters to OSV methods, download reports, manage databases and so on... Also, an experimental support to JSON-RPC is implemented (just a low-level connector right now, but a higher level implementation can be achieved quiet easily, I'm just lacking of time to do it).

In the company where I work (ABF-Osiell), we use OERPLib a lot to process and import data, or as a debug tool when developing, or also to control/inspect on the fly complex data on customer servers.

And about developing, a new tool named Mandibule aims in some ways to be a GUI to OERPLib (it generates model relationships and module dependencies graphs at this time): http://mandibule.bitbucket.org/

So, to answer your first question: use the one you prefer :)

I prefer the one with documentation; thank you for your work on OERPLib!

Thinkwell Designs, Dave Burkholder
on 3/4/14, 9:52 AM

Sebastian, I used the official, but seemingly dormant, library for my Google spreadsheets to OpenERP data pump: http://martinhbramwell.github.io/GData_OpenERP_Data_Pump/. Today I am replacing it with yours.

Martin
on 3/4/14, 12:25 PM

Oh, and . . . I very much want to check out Mandibule as soon as I can. Thanks for mentioning it! In the meantime you might like a video series I made that I call "DevOps for OpenERP". http://blog.warehouseman.com/2014/02/step-00-handbook-for-devops-for-openerp.html It shows how I created a cloud-based environment for administering my client's OpenERP (and other stuff) installations.

Martin
on 3/4/14, 3:37 PM

Indeed, it is a subject that may raise my interest, I will take a look thanks! (I see you've chose SaltStack, from my side I use Ansible but Salt was in the balance).

Sebastien Alix
on 3/4/14, 4:47 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/2/14, 7:04 PM
Seen: 3465 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM