Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Should I upgrade from 6.1 to 7 ?

By
Peter Neumaier
on 5/6/13, 10:21 AM 3,352 views

Hi everybody I'm wondering if I should upgrade my OpenERP-Server to V7. At the moment we're running 6.1.

Currently OpenERP is only used for time tracking and vacation / absence management, but customizing for one of our departments is in process (orders / invoices...).

So basically most user's haven't worked much with OpenERP yet, so it might be a good idea to start with V7 now. On the other hand, I'm no so sure if V7 is ready for production yet... What you do think?

Martin

--Martin--
| 5 6 8
Cornwall, Canada
--Martin--

Analysing, designing, coding and mentoring since 1975. Kilobytes to terabytes. Punch cards to punchy sites. My OpenERP video series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq7op4J183lX44ZlXPiHxUpRvmmRDtxye My Google Speadsheets --> OpenERP Data Pump project: http://martinhbramwell.github.io/GData_OpenERP_Data_Pump My email (with spaces removed) : mhb . warehouseman @ gmail . com

Martin
On 5/6/13, 10:38 AM

At your current stage of use of OpenERP it is more than adequately stable.

I do not have the actual numbers, but it is my impression that the majority of members of this forum are already using V7. There's excellent support for advanced V6.x questions, but you will get more and quicker answers for novice and intermediate V7 questions than for V6.x.

My advice would be to migrate immediately. The longer you wait the more data you will have to migrate and the harder it will be.

Many people cannot migrate from 6 to 7 because essential modules are not yet available. Localization modules have not kept up for all countries, for example. So, you should use some foresight about that. Are you looking to use integration with a special web shop (like VirtueMart) or CMS (like Joomla), if so test the support for it before launching into your migration.

As Martin said, the earlier you start the migration, the less data to migrate (and check). And as you stated yourself, you are in the process of developing a new module.

patrick
on 5/6/13, 5:38 PM

Well, needless to say any more. No better time to migrate than now. Version 7 is ok for me. My problem with v.7 is with some accounting issues but even those you can get around with help from the forum. I don't read help requests relating to v.6 anymore. Yes, I think its worth your while to migrate now.

Henry Padi Nyaunu
on 5/7/13, 4:02 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 5/6/13, 10:21 AM
Seen: 3352 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM