This question has been flagged
3 Replies

Hi,

I would like to set up a server for a small company with between 2 and 5 concurent users. What would be the specs for an Odoo server (with Postgres on the same server) ?

I am thinking of using a hosted Virtual Private Server with 2 core, 2Gb RAM, and 25Gb HD: would that be enough ?
(I realise the hard drive size depends on data, I am asking more about the rest)

I found it difficult to find information about Odoo v8: no documentation and not even a specifications note for the server ! Not mentioning the download link not working. That's not a good start !  :-(

Cheers,
CF.

Discard

Regarding the download links I think we have fixed them all now. Please note that v8 is still only a release candidate and the installers have just been updated to work with GitHub, as explained in our GitHub transition page (https://github.com/odoo/odoo/wiki/GitHub-Transition)

Author

Yes ! Well done for the download !

Best Answer

This presentation from the last open days might help with some generic hardware sizing information (e.g. at slide 9). For a couple of users any recent multi-core server / VPS with 4GB+ RAM should be enough. RAM is cheap so if your hosting doesn't give you at least 4GB for a very low price, just find a better one.

You might also consider the Odoo Online hosting, where the hardware is taken care of for you.

Hardware sizing is much more complicated than it seems. There is basically no minimum hardware specs for Odoo, the only minimum specs are software ones (PostgreSQL 9.1 for 8.0, Python 2.7, etc.). You could probably handle 2-5 users on a second-hand Pentium 4 with 512MB RAM, if you managed to meet the min software specs and were willing to take risks.

But Odoo supports very small single-user deployment and very large clustered deployment for thousands of users. And since every deployment comes with specific work patterns and performance expectations, it is quite difficult to give a magical recipe that everyone will find satisfying.

Discard
Author

Thanks for the answer. I did read your presentation before posting ... but as it was targeted more at big users: it did not help me much (slide 9 indicates "32Gb RAM"). Your answer here is well detailed: I will get a server with 4Gb of RAM. Thanks a lot. (Sorry I can not "thumbs up" your answer: not enough Karma, yet !)

Author

Yes ! Well done for the download !

Best Answer

Hi Froggy.
For a start, the server you chose is well. But do not forget that your server needs to be scalable, as users data increase over time.
Otherwise, you can opt for the VPS Cloud 2 OVH. Look at the link below.
http://www.ovh.com//fr/vps/vps-cloud.xml
Best regards.

Discard
Author Best Answer

Thanks Chancerel however the link does not help much: OVH has a wide range offer and I still need to pinpoint one offer !

Discard