Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Selling products that each have a unique serial number? (Ermin may know)

By
ASCconcepts
on 3/12/16, 3:06 PM 862 views

I have defined the product "MacBook" (product.template) with product variants (product.product), the variant being the serial number (since MacBook assigns serial numbers to all products like most companies and products).

There are several models of MacBook (for instance we carry different year MacBook Airs, MacBook Pro's, MacBooks)

Each of those would actually be a separate product though. A MacBook would be a product (product.template) and a MacBook Air would be a separate product and then each would have the serial product variant (product.product).

Lets say we have 10 MacBook Pro's, each one has the variant for it's own serial number (for instance, the MacBook I am on now is 451161MPF5X. When the customer picks out a MacBook Pro and I am on the verge of selling it, How will I identify that MacBook the customer is purchasing corresponds with the serial number they are getting? I don't want to select MacBook Pro as the product and then the serial number be the wrong serial number that goes out the door.

Or are you saying when  I go to select the product being purchased that I will select the MacBook Pro with the serial number of
451161MPF5X? I hope this question makes sense. This is new to me but so far have seen that Odoo can be very powerful. Now it is just a matter of learning to use that power to create modules that we can benefit from.

Ermin Trevisan

--Ermin Trevisan--
| 6 3 7
Walchwil, Switzerland
--Ermin Trevisan--

Ermin Trevisan
On 3/13/16, 9:40 AM

In Version 9.0 a direct management of serial numbers is possible, but not on POS. So there is no need to define variants per serial number.

I will need to be able to enter the serial number of the computer they purchase when selling it because that computer is covered by a warranty and we will need to be able to check if the customer ever needs a repair that 1. The computer they bring in is the inbred they purchased from us and 2. That the warranty hasn't expired. There are several rains we will need to be able to enter the serial number purchased.

ASCconcepts
on 3/13/16, 1:36 PM

So what is the question now exactly? For being able to deal with serial numbers in the POS, you need to wait for the module to be ported. Meanwhile you can test the handling with serial numbers for the different use cases you mentioned according to the links I have provided in the other thread.

Ermin Trevisan
on 3/14/16, 4:52 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/12/16, 3:06 PM
Seen: 862 times
Last updated: 3/15/16, 4:09 AM