Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Selling and manufacturing the right product

By
Phil74
on 3/12/13, 1:19 PM 1,121 views

I sell two metal boxes. I apply black or red paint based upon client selection. They can also choose to have a handle or not.

Say I have the following order for one client:

• 1 black box with no handle
  • 1 red box with handle

This is of course a simplified example of what I need. The combination of finish products I sell is much greater.

I had the box, the colour and the accessory (handle) setup as three different products, which gives me the following sale order lines in my sale order:

• 2 Metal Box
  • 1 Colour Red
  • 1 Colour Black
  • 1 Handle

When creating the sale order and also trying to create a reference code naming convention, I realized the client could end up with the handle on the wrong box.

I started looking at the BoM, but unsure that it could answer the need. Still I have a created a Bill of Materials, but haven't gone through the whole process and not clear how this would answer what I need.

What is the best way to set this up in OpenERP without having to create a product for every single combination?

I have the same problem, Till now for few products I created every possible combination, for others I am creating seperate sale orders.

Altınkaya Elektronik Cihaz Kutuları imalat Ticaret ltd sti, Ahmet Altinisik
on 3/12/13, 4:43 PM

I am starting to believe that a master product must be created that contains all the components it is made of. This master product will then be defined within the Bill of Materials as a hierarchy to make sure the appropriate product is manufactured. It will then be correctly reflected in the stock. Then to present the components into the sale order, I am thinking about creating dummy variants of the components, but these would have no stocks. Well that's the theory anyway and I need to test this!

Phil74
on 3/13/13, 11:02 AM

Kevin McMenamin

--Kevin McMenamin--
| 5 2 6
Auckland, New Zealand
--Kevin McMenamin--
Kevin McMenamin
On 3/12/13, 8:41 PM

you could use variants but all this does is create product.product records for each combination. As a first course of action have a look at configurator modules in apps.openerp.com as there might be something there that helps.

Another option would be to add attribute fields to SO line (e.g. colour, handle) - then you sell a box and let the paperwork (picking list) tell your staff what colour / handle.

I agree, I think variants are poorly defined and merely create another product. They should be stored in their own table, relating to the parent product and have their reference code, if any, concatenated to the parent product. As for the rest, I believe BoM or packs could help in sorting this out, but I can't see how the products could be manufactured if they're aren't clearly defined from the begining.

Phil74
on 3/13/13, 11:07 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 3/12/13, 1:19 PM
Seen: 1121 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM