This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Last February I reported a bug OpenERP v7 client - Filters do not work on numeric attributes.

Today Christophe Chauvet replied :

Sorry but this bug is not relare to OpenObject-Library

Can someone tell me, please:

1. How to know when an issue is of OpenObject and OpenERP vs when an issue is in OpenERP, but not of OpenObject
  2. Where to report OpenERP issues that are not also OpenObject issues.

Thank you.

Update 2013/04/26

The original issue was : How to filter numerical values?

So it is obviously not about external programs or coding special functions, and never has been. The problem is -- An ordinary, non-technical user of "out-of-the-box" OpenERP will expect to be able to filter on numeric fields. They can't.

I have read Yannick's explanation and it is clear that the I misfiled the issue. But he says, "You are not sure what kind of issue it is? No problem, the OpenERP team will forward your bug report further on the good place." That didn't happen. They did not refile it correctly -- hence all this confusion and misunderstanding.

So the question is now as simple as: To which category does the filtering problem belong? OpenERP Server or OpenERP Web? At a guess, I'd say that filtering requires a server call, since you wouldn't want to pull the whole table across the wire and then have JavaScript filter out the 5 lines you wanted. Right? Wrong?

If I get an answer to this I'll refile the issue in the correct place.

Discard

Agree with Martin question; Christophe answer to a serious issue is a kind of technological "scud" that is of weak interest for many users who do not get anwers to their needs!

Author

It's worse! "This is not a bug. You can not sort nor filter by function values!", Alvar Vilu. Ok. A missing feature is not a broken feature, so not a bug. But, some features are so obviously necessary, (and expected! since no serious system lacks them) that their lack is a definite defect. Yet, instead of serious discussion of what the problem is, why it hasn't been done, can't be done or shouldn't be done, or what could be done if someone would volunteer to do it, we see single line policy declarations handed down. It's pretty disappointing.

The title and the description here are a bit confusing. You should specify that you are talking about openobject-library and not about OpenObject framework

Author

fixed. sorry did not understand the difference.

Ok, you have my answer in both bug report and here. I hope, it helps to make thing clearer. And don't be that harsh which the poor folks who tried to answer you. ;)

@Martin OpenObject-library has not been developed by OpenERP, it has been developped by one of the partners, Syleam. And there were certainly thinking you were developping an application using their library.

Author

Yes. I'm sure it was a complete misunderstanding. But I think that if they had looked at the discussion taking place here, it should have been clear to the Syleam folks that the report was misfiled.

Best Answer

In that case you want to report it on lp:openobject-server bug tracking

Here is more about how and where to report a bug

The openobject-library will only make request that the OpenObject framework can reply. And for function field sorting, this is not implemented in OpenObject server. So the OpenObject library won't do it for you.

So code a request from your external program using the library you will have to do the sorting job on function fields yourself.

By the way, I suspect a misunderstanding between those

Discard
Author

This is getting surreal. Please see my update to the question.