Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Running as user 'root' is a security risk, aborting.

on 12/9/15, 11:04 PM 587 views

when i start odoo server at that time it will give me error like "Running as user 'root' is a security risk, aborting."

if any have idea about then please give replay as soon as possible..

Atul Arvind

--Atul Arvind--
| 3 3 5
--Atul Arvind--

I am odoo Enthusiast/Consultant from Baroda, Gujarat, India. Working with odoo from v5 to v9 and other opensource technology since 4+ years. Having Strong Expertise in

Requirement gathering & Gap Analysis

Odoo Development

Odoo Customization

Odoo Training

Odoo Integration

Server Administration

Odoo Migration

I am also active on StackOverflow.

Atul Arvind
On 12/10/15, 2:05 AM

If you have installed odoo using guides available on internet and have created system user "odoo" first you need tooo change the user using 

sudo su - odoo -s /bin/bash
Then you can restart/start/stop the server without any error. 
Hope this helps.

Axel Mendoza

--Axel Mendoza--
| 6 7 8
Camaguey, Cuba
--Axel Mendoza--

DevOps - Full stack - Software Architect - Developer - Technology Integrator

I could help you to develop anything and solve complex problems based on technologies, integrations and tricky stuffs mostly in Python with OpenERP/Odoo, Zato, Django and many others frameworks programming languages and technologies.

I offers consulting services to anyone with an unanswered questions or needs for customizations. Think about it, maybe it's better to have an expert to solve your issues and projects than having a full time employee trying to understand what to do an how

Reach me at aekroft@gmail.com

Axel Mendoza
On 12/10/15, 12:14 AM

Odoo needs to be run it by an user different that root. I you are running it on localhost you could use your own user, but if you are running it on a server you need to create an user just to run Odoo.

This is how you could create a new user named odoo on the server:

adduser --system --group odoo

Depending of what you are using for manage the Odoo server you need to configure the new user as the own for run the Odoo server.

For upstart like services using start-stop-daemon, check that the line that execute Odoo have the --chuid specified like:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile ${PIDFILE} --chuid ${USER} --background --make-pidfile --exec ${DAEMON} -- ${DAEMON_OPTS}

For systemd services, check that the user to run the service is specified like:

Description=Odoo Open Source ERP and CRM
After=network.target postgresql.service
ExecStart={service_bin} {service_args}

For supervisor services, check that the user to run the service is specified like:

directory = {base_path}/{instance}
command = {service_bin} {service_args}
stdout_logfile = {base_path}/logs/{instance}/{proy_name}/supervisor-out.log
stderr_logfile = {base_path}/logs/{instance}/{proy_name}/supervisor-err.log

You accept my answer but forget to upvote it too, :)

Axel Mendoza
on 12/10/15, 5:19 PM
On 12/11/15, 5:33 AM

it has also ask for odoo password where i can find it 

when i was use sudo su - odoo -s /bin/bash  command 

that is the password for the new user odoo created, you could change it with this command
passwd odoo

Axel Mendoza
on 12/11/15, 11:12 PM

when i was install any app or library at that time it will give me an erro like odoo@ACRVCRSERVER1:~$ apt-get install postgresql E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied) E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root? odoo@ACRVCRSERVER1:~$ sudo apt-get install postgresql [sudo] password for odoo: odoo is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported. odoo@ACRVCRSERVER1:~$ both way i was try but not successfully execute

on 12/11/15, 11:50 PM

you need to add odoo user in sudoers file. this will help you http://askubuntu.com/a/113416/85015.

Atul Arvind
on 12/15/15, 12:50 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 12/9/15, 11:04 PM
Seen: 587 times
Last updated: 12/15/15, 12:47 AM