This question has been flagged
3 Replies

I am am starting to provide OpenERP implementation services for Small and Medium Business.

Last week I got a lead from one of my friend and introduced a Manufacturing Services company. They make Small electronics products. The database list items are more. We can estimate approximately 100,000 products. Manufacturable products of at least 200 products with each product with Bill of material items of atleast 200 to 500 items.

I am planning to propose OpenERP but I am bit concerned about the performance if number of products are more in database. If we implement in 3 years time the database may grow up to 200G to 300G bytes.

Need your opinion on recommending openerp 7 as my only concern is Performance.

May I request your help to share your opinion? I really appreciate.

Discard

When it comes to performance, the only way to know is to try. So set it up on your own hardware, generate a whole bunch of simulated data (enter direct into the db) and evaluate from there.

Best Answer

I'm not sure if you are concerned about "performance" as in average load time per page, CPU utilization, RAM utilization, etc. or the storage space that the postgresql tables take up.

With the right hardware OpenERP should be able to perform. What is the right hardware is dependent on a number of factors: which modules you are running, the amount of data you collect over time, the number of users accessing the application (at the same time), etc. As per thenon's comment to your question, you'd have to build up test scenarios to find out what is suitable in your particular case.

There are a number of things you can do to work on performance over time. One is of course to use different physical machines for the database server and the application server (if you don't already do so).

If you are instead worried about how much space the db tables will occupy, you can simulate your db growth over time, study the increase in file sizes and draw conclusions from that (making whatever underlying assumptions apply). And to be honest, in three years time your client should be ready to upgrade their storage capacity.

In summary, you're going to have to try your way to your own answer, based on your particular needs. Something that performed well yesterday might not do so today, after you added another module. If you need a baseline, do a minimal OpenERP setup, write scripts to mimick normal work in such a baseline setup and test it on different hw/sw platforms until you find a combination that works well.

Discard
Author Best Answer

Thank you thenon, Lorenzo Cabrini for your inputs.

Basically for Manufacturing company I need the following modules. MRP, Sales, Finance &Accounting & Warehouse.

What I am concerned is if number of products are more, when user search or enter any product name if the performance is affected it will be an issue.

The scheduler runs at periodically. If it takes longer time to complete the scheduler to process, it also my concern.

The concurrent users my be 25 or 50.

It is not at all an issue to separate the server and database with a Xeon or Quad core Intel CPU with 16GB Ram with 1TB Hard Disk.

I did some googling on forums here is an interesting discussion. Copy the follow url scorner into web browser to read the forum discussion on performance.

goo.gl/GEXqq

Sorry I do not have enough karma.

This is my concern. According to the forum discussion looks like Open ERP 7 has some performance issue.

Discard

As per my opinion there will be no problem in searching the product or any records in OpenERP 7.0.. I have tested searching with almost > 8000 records and it was quite well without any problem.. Even Accounting reports like ledger print very quickly.. And if we concern the scheduler its nothing but backgroup process or program running on server and python is quite speedy to execute the code..

I work everyday in an OpenERP instance that has 250K+ records for one of its objects and 1.5M records for another object. The search results on these objects are gmail-fast and my server is located on the other side of the Atlantic. There is just no comparison with v6.1 when it comes to performance.

Author

Hi Fabrice Henrion, Glad to know that openerp has high performance solution. Do u mind to share the typical server configuration and database server information? Like what is the memory capacity, CPU etc, I suppose database resides in different server. Thank you

Best Answer

Hi white,

This might help you HELP

Thanks,

Discard
Author

Hi Naresh, Do we have any case study officially published?

Hi White, No such case study but the link that I gave above was disclosed in the community mailing list.