Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Recomended Operating System for OpenERP

By
Intasar
on 6/19/14, 7:22 AM 5,522 views

Dear All,

OpenERP is made for all operating systems, but mainly and mostly peoples use this on Ubuntu and miss guiding about other operating systems like CentOS. i want to ask with the officials Please tell us What operating system is best for OpenERP.

I hear that there is some performances issue and functionalities issue if you Install openERP other than Ubuntu. is this True ? because if OpenERP is only work nice with Ubuntu then why its available for other OSes ?

Please clarify,

Michel Hugues
On 6/19/14, 5:28 PM

For safety it is better to use Linux. All you need for a OpenErp server are covered by this system. It's easy to install Odoo in a Linux machine, it can become very complicated in others. You will easily find the answer to an installation problem if you use Linux. You'll just need the screen to install the OS, then you operate remotely with ssh. You can also transfer files with sftp. Everything is planned to work remotely in a secure manner.
Then choose a distribution according to your preferences.
Me, I prefer Debian without a GUI. It is universal, light, fast, reliable and is the mother of many distros.

Leonardo Donelli

--Leonardo Donelli--
| 5 4 8
Cave, Italy
--Leonardo Donelli--

Physics student and part-time developer.

Leonardo Donelli
On 6/19/14, 5:39 PM

There is not much difference in installation between different Linux distros, the only thing to check are the dependencies: the same package could have different names on different distros or even not be in the standard repos, requiring you to install additional software sources or install the package in another way.

Also check the version of the dependencies: in CentOS, for example, I had some problems when loading modules because the default python interpreter installed was 2.6, which caused some errors when parsing python files with Windows line endings. In python 2.7 this "problem" was solved.

Apart from these minor differences, installation under various Linux distros is pretty much the same and I doubt there are performance and functionalities issues on non-Ubuntu distros, as long as you installed it correctly.

Ahmet Altinisik

--Ahmet Altinisik--
| 8 7 10
ANKARA, Turkey
--Ahmet Altinisik--

http://www.altinkaya.eu

Ahmet Altinisik
On 7/3/14, 4:28 AM

Answer is Ubuntu or  debian  if you hate them use any distro you like

Openerp Production Server should ubuntu, Debian is good, Centos.

Linux server performance is bettter than other os.

other than OS harware is also important before chossing OS for Openerp

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 6/19/14, 7:22 AM
Seen: 5522 times
Last updated: 6/1/15, 11:36 AM