Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Quote from BOM and routing estimates

By
Michael Watchorn
on 11/3/13, 11:20 PM 2,754 views

Is there a way to generate a Sales Quotation from a BOM, by summing up the material cost + ((estimated time) x (workcenter cost))?
We often receive drawings of the product from the potential customer, and we must quote on manufacturing this product (there is no pricelist, and no fixed cost for us to markup). These products are typically one-offs (prototypes), so we haven't built it before and don't know how much it will cost.
Example:
A customer asks me to quote on a product for him (a chair), he provides me with a set of drawings, for me to manufacture and assemble. He will buy the finished chair from me. He includes drawings for: a chair leg, a seat, a chair back, and a finished chair assembly.
I create 4 products, each with their own BOM and Routings:
(1) I create a product including BOM and Routing for a leg.
(2) I create a product including BOM and Routing for a seat.
(3) I create a product including BOM and Routing for a back.
(4) I create a product including BOM (consisting of 4 legs, 1 seat, and 1 back), and Routing directing my staff how to assemble the chair.
I do not wish to manufacture the product yet. I just want a cost buildup.
I want to run a report (preferably include the finished chair as a line in the quotation) which produces the estimated cost based on the products I have defined and the work I expect it would take. It would need to be recursive because it would need to dig into each subproduct and examine if it contains any other manufactured parts and dig in to those if need be. Ideally it would also calculate the lead times for any material I need to purchase.
I have read through the Streamline your Manufacturing Process with OpenERP book, and could not find anything that explained how to get this estimated cost buildup.

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 11/4/13, 12:09 AM

Have you seen https://www.openerp.com/apps/trunk/product_cost_incl_bom/

Compute product cost price by recursively summing parts cost prices according to product BOM. It takes into account the BoM costing (cost per cycle and so...).

Providing you do everything you have written above correctly, this will produce a BoM Cost amount on the product, so when you create a quote for it you can use it as the basis for a sales price.

Michael Watchorn
On 11/4/13, 12:23 AM

Thanks Ray's post above and klass vortex's earlier question(and self-answer) : "I did find the thing I was looking for, it was not where I expect it to be ;-) It is in Warehouse-product. Select Complex Product (which has a Bom) Now use [PRINT][PRODUCT COST STRUCTURE] and there it is !"

I've installed product_cost_incl_bom, and the products all show their costs on the products tree view, except the parent top level chair product. However the report still shows $0.00 for the subproducts, but shows the $ value for top level parent chair (no change there). Any idea what could be causing a product to not get it's cost_price updated? (And why the subproducts aren't getting updated in the report?)

Michael Watchorn
on 11/4/13, 1:18 AM

I had missed the change to line 68 in price.py, now that works for the material. For anyone else who wants the BOM cost see klass vortex's question #14109 search for mrp-cost-price-calculation-on-bom.

Any suggestions on why the workcenter costs are not showing up in the cost_price field? The workcenter costs do show up in the PRODUCT COST STRUCTURE pdf report, but not in the product's cost_price(incl BOM) field.

Michael Watchorn
on 11/4/13, 12:17 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 11/3/13, 11:20 PM
Seen: 2754 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM