Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Projects or tasks election

By
sandu nicolae
on 11/9/13, 8:15 AM 1,688 views

Helo! My name is Nucu, I am trying to learn OpenERP in order to make an implementation to my little business. I have a cleaning business, and what am I trying to do for the is see the hours spent on each client and the number of hours of each employee.

I don´t know which way is best:

1. Every client has a project, and the tasks are the general cleaning, the daily cleaning.. etc?
  2. A project is a general cleaning for a client ant the tasks are the main activities in a general cleaning (e.g: window c leaning, floor cleaning, vertical surfaces cleaning.. ?)

I have tried the both choices, but I am having problems in order to calculate the hours.

Thank you for your help. Nucu.

sandu nicolae
On 11/9/13, 7:12 PM

Helo! So the time track will be only one way, from the HR timesheet to the analytical account of each project? Because I was very confuse using the reverse mode, trying to assign hours from the tasks, ant then see them in the HR_timesheet, which is not happening. I was thinking that use the calendar view of task were useful, because you could see the activity of the current day/week in a calendar and select them for each employee assigned to that task. The problem is that I can´t assign the task to more than one employee, neither define repetitive tasks (or I don´t know how to do that).
One real situation: we have a Bank Client, with one daily activity cleaning, an employee goes every day 2 hours. Every month we have a general cleaning, and in two days (saturday and sunday) we mobilize 10 employees 10 hours daily. Occasionally we have to clean the exterior windows, or carpet cleaning. These are projects? because I thought that these were tasks. Is there any possibility to see this on a calendar? Anyway, I am grateful for any suggestion because for the moment I can´t make it work, so the RRHH people can use it. Thank you, Nucu

Hello, comments shouldn't be posted as Answers; additional clarifications on your question are best if edited into the original question, improving it. Thanks.

Daniel Reis
on 11/10/13, 12:03 PM

Daniel Reis

--Daniel Reis--
| 6 7 9
Lisbon, Portugal
--Daniel Reis--

Author of the "Odoo Development Essentials" book.

Applications Manager at Securitas Portugal

Github: https://github.com/dreispt

Twitter; @reis_pt

Daniel Reis
On 11/9/13, 5:23 PM

You have two types of tasks: routine tasks (general cleaning) and occasional (window cleaning, etc).

For routine tasks, you don't need to track how much time each employee spends on each activity: in practice this can be too cumbersome. You just want to track how much time each employee spends on each client.

For this, HR Timesheets would probably be the best solution. Each customer contract is an "Analytic Account", and you record, for each employee, how much time was spent on each Analytic Account.

For the occasional tasks, e.g.: carpet cleaning once a months, window cleaning every 6 months, you might be better off using Project Tasks for them. A Project is just an Analytic Account/Contract that can have Tasks, so actually they are the "same" thing. You can record Work on Tasks for these occasional Tasks, and it will be also written in the HR Timesheet. (The other way around doesn't work, because the HR Timesheet let's you select Projects/Analytic Account, but not specific Tasks inside them). The routine tasks would just go on the Projects notes/long description field.

There's no out-of-the box function to auto-generate recurring tasks. It's possible to achieve that, but I don't think it's worth the trouble for you: it's just the matter of spending a few more minutes planning all the "occasional" Tasks of your contract for, say, the next 12 months.

Project Tasks can be seen in Calendar view and in Gantt view, so they can be a good solution to help you plan.

The disadvantage of this solution is that there are two place to record time, HE Timesheets and Tasks. If you find this too confusing, you could try recording everything in Project Tasks, by creating a Task for "Routine cleaning" for each period (week or month). Each day/employee is a line in the Task's Work.

I´ll try the both ways, but the hours that I record Task´s work doesn´t appears in HR timesheet, I don´t know the reason yet. These days will try to record all the activities that we have, and then we´ll see which way is the best. Thank you. Nucu.

sandu nicolae
on 11/11/13, 6:39 AM

Helo, again: I´ve introduced the dates into the sistem, ant the time track is now realising from the HR_timesheets. The problem is that I am not able to track the time from any the task. I don´t no why, I´ve added lines in the Task´s work, but no result into the timesheet off the employee. Another thing that I don´t know is the better way is about the different locations: These are different projects with different analytical account or the locationes are also tasks? Nucu

sandu nicolae
on 11/13/13, 6:47 PM

Helo, I would like to ask you again if you can help with the tasks problem, I am not able to track the time that way. Also tried to trak time from the costs of an analitical account, but I don´t know the reason that this doesn´t work. Thank you.

sandu nicolae
on 11/15/13, 1:44 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 11/9/13, 8:15 AM
Seen: 1688 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM