Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Product template with fixed variants

By
Tom
on 12/2/14, 11:17 PM 449 views

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a product with multiple and fixed variants. Like for companies, is there a way to set a parent product?

My company manufactures Product A in black (1) and white (2) and sells it to companies X, Y, Z etc with their brands on it. Therefore, I would need to create Product A as a parent product and Products A1X, A1Y, A1Z, A2X, etc. as sub products?

I am thinking about setting up a product with multiple variants but I need to create a group of variant that is fixed, like a template. For example one of my client (X) is buying only the black color (1) so I should not be able to invoice my product with variant X and color 2. I need to freeze the set of variant as product characteristics.

How can I do that?

Thanks for your help!

@Tom Odoo already provides the concept of variants, but the way you need is to create variants by individual partner (customer). Customer list is always going to get increasing, so I am wondering, every time you create a new template you need to assign a customer to it. If a product is fixed to a particular customer is that's what you are saying, then you need to customize the method "create_variant_ids" where the manipulation of variants is done. You need to have a mapping of customer and your colours (attributes) in partner screen. Also in the product template you need a mapping of customer (many2many) with your product template, which will help you in identifying the which customers are to be mapped with which specific variant. This requires intense test cases. You need to understand the behaviour of "create_variant_ids" method. Let me know if that works !!

Emipro Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
on 12/3/14, 12:02 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 12/2/14, 11:17 PM
Seen: 449 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM