This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Is it possible to setup a Product or Product Category that has different units for Purchase and Sale?

If I buy 200 Oranges, 100 Apples and 100 Bananas, to make 100 baskets with several fruits, I have to pay the fruit in Kg, but in the Sell (to use in basket assembly or manufacturing) field I have 2 + 1 + 1 Unit(s).

Am I looking at this the right way?

Discard
Best Answer

Yes it is possible. You can go to the Setting of Purchase and Sale and activate "manage multiple UOMs: field: group_uom. 

Then u'll get different UOM for valuation, SO and PO.

Discard
Author

vote I've tried to create the Product Apple, with "Can be Purchased" On, UoM Unit(s), and Purchase UoM kg. When saving I get the following ValidateError: Field(s) `uom_id` failed against a constraint: Error: The default Unit of Measure and the purchase Unit of Measure must be in the same category. Checking the UoM's categories, I see that Unit(s) is Unit, and for kg is Weight. The Inventory is supposed to be in Unit(s) also. What should be the best way to configure this kind of products?

You should create one more category, say: "Apple Category" in which u can say that for example "kg" is a basic UOM and for "unit", just write the coefficient against kg. e.g: in apple category: 1 kg=10 units.

Author Best Answer

I've tried to create the Product Apple, with "Can be Purchased" On, UoM Unit(s), and Purchase UoM kg

When saving I get the following ValidateError: Field(s) `uom_id` failed against a constraint: Error: The default Unit of Measure and the purchase Unit of Measure must be in the same category.

Checking the UoM's categories, I see that Unit(s) is Unit, and for kg is Weight.

The Inventory is supposed to be in Unit(s) also. What should be the best way to configure this kind of products?

Discard

you cannot use the Uom with the different category so you need to change it.

Author

"(...)so you need to change it." What do I need to change? Product config? UoM categories?

the uom categories if you wnat to use multiple UoM to automaticaly calculate the amount it should be in the same categories for example UoM categories for Weight there are Kg and Gram so the 1 Kg = 1000 Gram you cannot convert the Kg (Weight ) to M (Height) because this UoM is not in the same categories

Author

What you explained about UoM categories is logic. It is to say then that if I buy in Kg, I always have to use the same UoM within the system (Inventory, Manufacturing and Sales).

hhhhmmm i it should not use the same UoM you can use another UoM with the same category for example the default UoM for product A is Kg then you buy or (set the Purchase UoM) using Grams you purchased the product A 10.000 Grams so if you see your stock it will be show as 10 Kg because it is converted to default UoM

Author

I can't sell a basket (that incorporates apples) in gram or kg. I need to sell it as Uom Unit(s). The idea was to make it easy on the production and warehouse staff to gather the material for the basket, and build it.

Author

This is of course an example. I could have the same principle on subcontracting the development of some software, and paying this service by the hour. I would sell the software by the unit, after burning it in a CD...