This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I'm still evaluating Odoo for my project. I am trying to manage an inventory for an Art Gallery, which has different types of art as well as reproductions (variants?).

order to make the system work for the managers, they need to be able to see the Product Attributes. They need to be displayed prominently, so I am assuming I will need to customise the Inventory views at some point.

Right now, I am struggling with getting the artwork imported into Odoo. I see lots of examples of working with variants, but these fields (width, height, weight etc.) need to be attributes.

Could someone please help me to understand how import these items? I've create a few test products and I'm confused how Odoo handles the Product Attribute Values. In most cases, these values will be unique (as in 26" wide) to each product. Perhaps Odoo just stores the data this way. However it is handled, I have not understood what is required to construct a CVS file that will enable me to import these values.

One interesting path the export template that shows the Product Attributes and Values, but I am not sure how to utilise this information:

id default_code name attribute_line_ids/attribute_id/id attribute_line_ids/value_ids/id
__export__.product_template_2 Mulititudes __export__.product_attribute_1 __export__.product_attribute_value_2
__export__.product_attribute_4 __export__.product_attribute_value_1
__export__.product_attribute_3
__export__.product_attribute_6
__export__.product_attribute_7
__export__.product_attribute_9 __export__.product_attribute_value_3

I appreciate any help

Darcy

Discard
Author Best Answer

Sounds like I am definitely misunderstanding something important about product variants and attributes.Am I wrong in thinking that I can have unique values for things like height, width, depth, weight, year?I get the sense of variants, but in this case, there is only one width for each product.

Do you know of any modules that are attempting to do this?

After looking into variants more, I would think this is definitely not what I want. Is there a way to capture information for a product, that is stored in some organised way. I am quite excited about using Odoo to help manage the purchasing and renting of art. It's integration with CRM and ecommerce is important.

Discard

If you have an attribute with a single value, it remains an attribute. If you have an attribute with multiple values, Odoo automatically creates variants for each attribute value.

Author

I think I understood that. However, now I am discovering that you can add additional fields to any model. Maybe this is what I want to do, rather than creating an attribute.

An attribute is a property of a product. An additional field results in the same. I can't find any meaning in that. And I do not understand your problem, because to my understanding your use case is nothing extraordinary.

Author

Thank you for these comments, Ermin. I really appreciate it. I think I need to continue to learn whether there really are any differences. For example, I am concerned that these 'attributes' or 'fields' can be better displayed to the users. This would be important to this product. The additional data for the artwork must be prominently display, as well as easy to work with when connecting to other systems. I will be connecting Odoo to WordPress and Woo Commerce. Thank you for the help!

You can check Odoo's website builder and e-commerce and see how these information is displayed on the frontend by default. And you can also learn how to customize this standard presentation.

Best Answer

As a first step you need to understand how product variants and attributes work in Odoo. So try to define your products properly in Odoo. After that you can export your properly  defined product in order to see how you have to define the csv file.

Discard