This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle product/BoM variants in Odoo 11 Community.  Our company is a door manufacturer and we would have a base product and some attributes or variants.  For example: 3 Interlocking sliding door is the end product and a BoM for that door would have a film_type and glass_type at a minimum.  Using Odoo product variants would cause this to create over 40,000 products and that just doesn't seem right to me.  I've tried many combination from create variant to not creating variant, but I can't seem to get the attribute, or variant from the sale order line to the manufacturing order, BoM, or purchase order without explicitly creating a new product.I have starting creating my own module to add dropdown options to the sale order line that I can pass along to the different areas.  While this is starting to look promising, I really want to double check and make sure there isn't already a build in method that I'm just overlooking or using incorrectly before I devote time to implementing my module. 

Your thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated, or if perhaps anyone knows of a third-party app that is already available or perhaps similar to my needs, that would be great as well.

Discard
Best Answer

You may want to check Pledra's product configurator: https://github.com/pledra/odoo-product-configurator, but it is only available for Odoo 10.0 so far.

Discard
Author Best Answer

Weird system they have here with karma points required to make a comment.  Ermin, I just started looking at that one and adapting it for v11.  With just 2-3 minor tweaks I would estimate it is 50-60% functional in v11, but I may need to run a v10 setup to complete the transition because I have no idea how it is supposed to function.  From all the research I have done, it really seems like this is the best way to go.  To use a module that restricts variant generation to point-of-use which I really need because the current structure would easily create over 8 million variants.

Discard

I'm sure it is the best way to go and it even gives your customers the possibility to configure their custom door online. And Paul is surely happy about any help to port it to 11.0.

Author

Yeah! I should be able to port it over in a few days. Downloading Odoo v10 now so I can see it in action and then make the required updates.