Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

pop vs imap differences

By
Mihalache Ciprian
on 10/10/13, 6:44 AM 2,552 views

Can anybody explain the differences between pop and imap on Incoming Mail Servers

I made a few test.

If I select IMAP and press fetch mail

• it checks if there are any UNREAD messages marks them as read and it create a discussion on openerp. The messages remain on the server as unread.

If I select POP and press fetch mail

• it get all READ messages (so if there are any Unread they will not appear on openerp). The messages remain on the server ( usually pop deletes the messages but here is not the case)

I need a confirmation from openerp team if they think the system this way.

Thanks a lot.

Dieter Huelskamp
On 3/20/15, 1:52 PM

In general IMAP means, you can sync several folders in opposite to POP, so imap is more powerful, especially, if you want to sync your outbox, I have not found out yet, how openERP respects standard folders as I use in Gmail or if I would have to start using a mailprogram like thunderbird or outlook, in order to have good integration and keep all my mail (response) record in one place. 

Brett Lehrer

--Brett Lehrer--
| 5 4 8
Milwaukee, United States
--Brett Lehrer--
Director of IT and open source enthusiast.
Brett Lehrer
On 10/22/13, 12:06 AM

I believe that's true for IMAP, but my understanding of POP is that it grabs everything that is read or unread and removes it from the server (that's what POP implementations generally mean). I could be mistaken though, I basically avoided any serious POP usage.

For a little while I was working on an alternative IMAP reader for OpenERP that would check read and unread messages based on a rolling sync time. First it would grab all messages in the last 2 weeks, then every sync after that would grab every message from 1 minute before the last sync until the present, and make sure to skip overlapping messages.

Never finished it due to a lack of interest. We're all using Outlook already, so it wasn't really helping to basically duplicate our mail database in OpenERP. Plus, the email "client" is very lacking.

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 10/10/13, 6:44 AM
Seen: 2552 times
Last updated: 3/20/15, 1:52 PM