This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I have 50 users that access OpenERP both locally and over the internet. Configured on also are 6 companies. Database is presently 2GB.

Can I get recommendations on best hardware specification and server setup?

I presently have a Dell Poweredge T20 with an intel xeon 3ghz processor, 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive. 

Suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated as users often complain about access issues especially when connecting from outside the office over the internet. 

Discard
Best Answer

I second Mathias's answer. I would first try to maximize the performance of your current hardware by tuning the workers and memory options of OpenERP. Before upgrading any hardware look at the usage of your current hardware (htop, iostat, etc...)

For your external clients, there isn't much you can readily do. Thing is OpenERP works over a synchronous XML-RPC connection meaning that you have to add up the round-trip time for every request that is made meaning if viewing a particular record needs 6 requests and your server is 250ms away from your clients, you're looking at 1.5 seconds MINIMUM just to view this record. If you can get a better connection to your clients this should greatly improve things.

Discard