Odoo Help

Phone Number in 'XXX-XXX-XXXX' format

By
ASP
on 7/4/14, 10:20 AM 50,318 views

Hi All,

I'm looking for a solution to add phone numbers in the above said format. Is there any module or any hint how to achieve this? :)

I had tried with a module named "bss_phone_numbers" and it is suggesting to take field type as "phonenumber", but no luck,

It's throwing an error "Undefined widget............". Please help me on this. I don't need any restriction or validation for phone number.
I just want to create and display a field for phone number, where user can input the number in 'XXX-XXX-XXXX' format.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Cheers
ASP :)

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0; Odoo 8.0, 9.0, 10.0.

Completed Odoo Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• User Needs and GAP Analysis;

• Functional and Technical Design;

• Prototyping and Proof of Concepts;

• Requirements Specifications;

• Agile Implementation;

• Data Migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and code);

• Integration - Odoo and non Odoo Applications and Services;

• Training and Knowledge Transfer;

• Go Live Support;

• Helpdesk;

• Version Upgrades and Migration.

• Accounting Expert.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

I am a skilled Communicator and I only take the serious things seriously!

Ray Carnes
On 7/4/14, 11:38 AM

The best module I have found for this purpose is https://www.odoo.com/apps/7.0/base_phone/

You need to install the Python library first, ie: sudo pip install phonenumbers

That module really helped, thanks Ray! By the way, it changes, by default, all numbers to +XXXXXXXXXXX. Is there any config I could make to format, say, XX (XXX) XXXXX-XXXX

Igor MF
on 7/4/14, 1:53 PM

The numbers are in the format "+441132345678" during edit mode, but change to "+44 113 234 5678" when they are saved - is that what you are seeing? To change what the widget displays, change the function used in base_phone/static/src/js/phone_widget.js which leverages the library at base_phone/static/lib/js/PhoneFormat.js

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 7/5/14, 2:45 PM

Hey Ray, Thanks for the reply :) It worked fine for all partners. But for my custom module where I have phone fields, it didn't reformat the numbers. So I just added "Widget" attribute as 'phone' to those fields in my custom module. Now a link has been added for click to dial, but number is till not formatted. In edit mode it looks fine 'xxx-xxx-xxxx' but after save 'xxxxxxxxxx'. Please help me with this :)

ASP
on 7/7/14, 4:23 AM

In the Python file, change ['phone', 'partner_phone', 'fax', 'mobile'] to ['phone', 'partner_phone', 'fax', 'mobile',’YOUR_FIELD1’,’YOUR_FIELD2’] so that the code knows to apply the same validation to the extra phone field(s).

Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 1:24 AM
To: Followers of False
Subject: Re: False

Hey Ray, Thanks for the reply :) It worked fine for all partners. But for my custom module where I have phone fields, it didn't reformat the numbers. So I just added "Widget" attribute as 'phone' to those fields in my custom module. Now a link has been added for click to dial, but number is till not formatted. In edit mode it looks fine 'xxx-xxx-xxxx' but after save 'xxxxxxxxxx'. Please help me with this :)

--
ASP Sent by OpenERP S.A. using OpenERP. Access your messages and documents in Odoo

on 7/7/14, 6:28 PM

In the Python file, change ['phone', 'partner_phone', 'fax', 'mobile'] to ['phone', 'partner_phone', 'fax', 'mobile',’YOUR_FIELD1’,’YOUR_FIELD2’] so that the code knows to apply the same validation to the extra phone field(s).

on 7/7/14, 6:40 PM

Hi Ray, the extra phone fields (phone, fax) are in my custom module and not in res_partner. So how to add those to the list? and how it'll recognize the fields from which module? :)

ASP
on 7/8/14, 2:08 AM

If you added those fields to the res.partner model, then just adding them to the python code in base_phone will be enough.

Once you add your fields, all modules that use res.partner will see them, including base_phone.

Ray.

Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 11:08 PM
To: Followers of False
Subject: Re: False

Hi Ray, the extra phone fields (phone, fax) are in my custom module and not in res_partner. So how to add those to the list? and how it'll recognize the fields from which module? :)

--
ASP Sent by OpenERP S.A. using OpenERP. Access your messages and documents in Odoo

on 7/8/14, 2:29 PM

Ludo - Neobis

--Ludo - Neobis--
| 2 2 5
Hoogvliet, Netherlands
--Ludo - Neobis--

Developer

Ludo - Neobis
On 7/4/14, 10:40 AM

I don't know of a single field type (other than maybe a char field with a regular expression), but if it absolutely needs to be strictly input like that, try to make 3 char fields. One for each section with a certain size (size=3) and in your view somehow put the dashes in manually.

Does that help?

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This platform is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Register

Odoo Training Center

Access to our E-learning platform and experience all Odoo Apps through learning videos, exercises and Quizz.

Test it now

Question tools

15 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 7/4/14, 10:20 AM
Seen: 50318 times
Last updated: 1/3/17, 1:23 PM