This question has been flagged

I don't know if this belongs here or in a PostgreSQL forum somewhere, but this is related to my previous post of wanting to move my database to a different hardware.  I thought about using Pgadmin3 (or 4) to issue CREATE TABLESPACE sql to create a new datastore and specify location other than the default and then simply restore my existing database to the new datastore.  I run Ubuntu 16.04 host with Ubuntu 16.04 guest for Odoo.  It was an out-of-the-box all-in-one install using the deb file from Odoo which puts the PostgreSQL datastore inside my virtual disk.  I would like to have my datastore on a virtual box shared folder which is a large hard drive.  I used Pgadmin3 (or 4?) to execute the sql to create the tablespace, but I get a permissions error.  I can create and delete files and folders on this shared folder from inside Odoo's VM, so the shared folder is set up correctly for my user account there, but obviously Pgadmin3 is not using my account.  Maybe it's using Pgamin3's account name (if there is one for it), or maybe PostgreSQL's account name (whatever that is).  Does anyone know what permissions are missing?  I hope I got the right forum for this.  If not, does anyone know of a good PostgreSQL forum where they will be able to help me on this?

Discard
Author Best Answer

It had everything to do with it being an NTFS file system.  Permissions are handled differently when it's NTFS.  I used an EXT4 file system and the create tablespace worked OK.  However, the folder is empty.  How, now, do I port my Odoo data into the new tablespace?  I'll research and post when successful -- unless in the meantime someone posts the "how to".  I have also come to the idea that vbox VMs can't create symlinks on vbox shared folders.  Inside the VM is no problem.  On a shared folder?  Just can get past the part where it tries to create a symlink on the shared folder.  I broke my VM when experiment with it.  NP since I had a snapshot.  This needs more research.  And I think VirtualBox is where I need to research.  And I found:  \https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90390&p=433668&hilit=symlink#p433668

I'll update after I've tried it.

Discard