Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Password stored in clear text in browser's local storage ?

Nicolas Clavier
on 7/2/13, 6:13 AM 2,898 views

On the topic of clear text authentication, I notice that the browser's local storage (not cookies ahun) has records with : - key: Database_name``|last_password - value:PasswordInClearText`

If concerned by security, this could be a potential issue regarding access to openerp from public computers. I doubt an average user would know how to clear local storage after using a public computer for quick access to his platform.

How can we disable this functionality to get back to normal authentication / session expiry scheme ? (or am I missing something ??)

Bump ! This is a potential major issue imho..

Nicolas Clavier
on 8/13/13, 5:52 AM

After reading last initOS comment, I realised this could be a vulnerability and decided to report a security bug in lauchpad (private for now). I will post feedback here. Thank you.

Nicolas Clavier
on 8/13/13, 11:11 AM

Nicolas Vanhoren (niv)

--Nicolas Vanhoren (niv)--
| 0 0 0
--Nicolas Vanhoren (niv)--
Nicolas Vanhoren (niv)
On 8/13/13, 12:26 PM

That was a feature that was useful for development (which is why it only worked in debug mode, not the normal user mode). But as I can see it is broken in recent versions. Since no one seems to complain about this, I decided it was cleaner to simply remove it in recent versions.

But please understand it is never safe to use a web site with a log in feature, including OpenERP, from a public computer. You have no guarantee that you session will expire so anyone can re-use it and do what he wants with your account. That's why you should train your users to always use the anonymous mode in such cases.

You mean you are part of the core team and you removed the password storage from newer revisions on ?

Nicolas Clavier
on 8/13/13, 12:44 PM

Nicolas Vanhoren (niv)
on 8/13/13, 12:45 PM

As to the public use, an internal user might do as much damage. We have developers amongst the users here... Anyway,could you point me to the revision that removes this hack ?

Nicolas Clavier
on 8/13/13, 12:46 PM

Ok, found it here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp/openerp-web/trunk/revision/3811 Thanks for the quick feedback !

Nicolas Clavier
on 8/13/13, 1:00 PM
Torsten Francke
On 8/13/13, 9:02 AM

if you search in the code, you find:

if (self.session.debug) {
     self.$("[name=password]").val(localStorage.getItem(self.selected_db + '|last_password') || '');

in addons/web/static/src/js/chrome.js

This if you have web modul debug mode enable, just disable:

and then everythink is fine.

Thanks for pointing out the source of this issue. I still consider the issue quite critical since there is no rule to give users access or not to "debug mode“. Therefore the "demo" user (or anyone else) can use debug mode, and simply leave his credentials on a computer. Even though it sounds far fetched, security as for long relied on the eventuality that no one would dig further ...

Nicolas Clavier
on 8/13/13, 9:23 AM

I see the problem you can send someone a prepared link with "&debug=" inside the url to activate the debug mode and later with some injection capture the password. The best way to fix problems open a ticket to support(at)openerp.com that it should be possible to deactivate debug mode in production environment

initOS GmbH, Torsten Francke
on 8/13/13, 9:41 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 7/2/13, 6:13 AM
Seen: 2898 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM