This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Hi all, please, do you have a experience with OPENERP on Ubuntu and Windows? Can you compare speed on Linux and Windows as host for OPEN ERP? Do you think that Linux is more faster? I thinking about install virtualbox and Ubuntu as server for OPENERP.

I want to know if it is not a waste of time.

Many thanks, Petr

Discard
Best Answer

We actually obtained excellent performances on both GNU/Linux (Ubuntu/Debian 64bit) and Windows (2008srv r2 64bit) But in the second case, Windows, we had to install OpenERP from sources and recompile a lot of dependencies in order to get the same level of performance and stability of GNU/Linux.

A part from the performance thing, installing OpenERP on GNU/Linux (especially Ubuntu/Debian) takes less time than Windows and it's usually easier to maintain.

Discard

regarding virtualbox. it's not indended to be use as a deployment environment. you should look at vmware, xen, kvm, etc (even though it's not bad and enough fast)

Windows should only be used for smaller OpenERP packages, and in general will never get the same performance as you can under Linux. You can still work under it just fine though, and you could migrate (partly) to Linux later.

i was thinking the same before i was forced to deploy an important openerp implementation on windows. but i'll never suggest to use windows if gnu/linux can be used instead :)

And python installation in windows is not very easy !

While I agree with Davide, that Windows shouldn't be chosen wen Linux can be used instead - the python installation isn't really difficult at all. I'd consider it on the same level as the installation on linux, it just takes a little more time.