This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I want to know if any partners i offering OpenERP as a service for clients under a cloud environment like AWS or Rackspace. I would love to hear about it's performance. Recent posts suggested the performance and latency is too great compared to traditional servers.

I would even ask about multiple instances of OpenERP on the same cloud service.

Discard
Best Answer

We have many clients using Amazon and one using Rackspace.

No issues if you have a good connection to the outside world.

Amazon offers a free tier which you can use to install and evaluate OpenERP. For a single user it will give you almost the same performance as a 'real' cloud server would for many users.

Discard

Hi Ray, One of my client ask about the security issue. ie, can any one access their database? will our company access their data? etc... They are mainly pointing out the security issue. Please refer a clear answer that i can share with my clients.

In both cases the customer (who purchases the cloud computing server) has 100% control (root access) to the machine. This means it has the same security problems as any machine of their own. Amazon and Rackspace cannot access the machine unless the customer chooses to give them access. Every port on the machine can be opened or closed to every protocol. You have the same access as if it was your own machine, and can open it up or close it down in the same way as your own machine.

Would it be better to have multiple databases in a single running instance or to make an instance per customer? Are there performance or capacity issues for each option?