Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

OpenERP and me, my experience and suggestions [Closed]

By
BBC
on 11/9/13, 6:38 AM 663 views

The Question has been closed for reason: not a real question

by
Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
on 11/09/2013 07:06:25

This is not a topic about some specific error, just some thoughts about Open ERP.

First thank you for this very powerful Open source application. Tested many, many and OE is one of the best. Unfortunately developers of best (offline) ERP scripts seems to prefer Linux as platform, dont know why. (NextErp, Redmine, etc) So OE in combination with Windows is more unique.

As i thought it will be few coffee hours with OE, maybe max one day, prolonged to complete week, full days. Oh boy how wrong i was. Mostly because of complexity of OE and complexity of full blooded ERP.

And i come to this i want to write about. Very huge bit of this time i spent on something i sincerely believe every beginner user of OE should be spared.

First i will say that i am very experienced with different CMS, scripts, etc. Second i will say that i never touched core files of OE. (mostly because i come from PHP, MySQL, Apache world, but this is not the point).

I experienced all sort of weird errors handling community plugins. Errors that prevented me to login / use OE. Other errors showed sometimes but OE continued to function. And very different errors.

2-3 times i fixed it by installing OE again, put backup add ons folder back (database asked for it). But 4. or 5. time i couldnt continue with this anymore, already spent whole week on it and very often needed to input all data about customers, sales, etc again from the beginning.

So my "question" and suggestion is this. Can you make OE more robust and more resistant against community plugins. Install some plugin, uninstall it and suddenly you end with fatal errors and cannot use OE anymore. I know that because of philosophy of one ERP all in database is connected, all must work perfectly, but as i see it community plugins set some mandatory flags everywhere in system and when you uninstall them you can end in big problems.

Better for OE to ignore those things plugins set in system. Better one dead end and one dead entry in some database table then non working system. It is not displayed without this plugin anyway.

Other suggestion is design and style. More Metro look but not anyone would agree with me. Beginners love this style and very complicated things seems to them as easy to use.

For now i will try to customize new Magento 2 for my needs. It has almost all one ERP needs, if you use right logic in converting it to CRM/ERP. But will keep eye on OE in the future.

You are right. It's dangerous to install community modules and it's probably something we should better warn users on. I close this question as it's not the right place to post such feedback.

Fabien Pinckaers (fp)
on 11/9/13, 7:07 AM

Best solution for this is to have a fast way to make a Snapshot of your system before you install ANY new module. Having this you can quickly backtrack to where you were with a Good system rather than hoping a number of uninstall routines will work. I missed that Step on one difficult Module attempt and regretted it. Thankfully I have been able to move forward with the system. It is a remarkable system all in all.

Landis Arnold
on 11/25/13, 11:27 AM

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 11/9/13, 6:38 AM
Seen: 663 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM