Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

OpenERP 7.0 will not update modules list?

By
Rob W
on 5/16/13, 11:50 AM 13,837 views

I'm using 7.0-20130514-231031 on Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.7 (squeeze), installed from http:// nightly.openerp.com/7.0/nightly/deb/.

Spent a day on this so far, and cannot figure out what's going on. Lots of searching shows a lot of similar issues with varying fixes that don't work for me.

First, deleting an existing directory of an uninstalled addon in /usr/share/pyshared/openerp/addons does not remove it from the Modules list (going to "Installed Modules" and clearing "Installed" from the filter - which seems like a ridiculously roundabout way to do it IMO) but it will not install. So I'm definitely working with the right directory.

After I click "Install" on the non-existent module (note_pad in this case) it will claim to install. It's not in the Installed Modules list, however, and selecting "Apply Scheduled Upgrades" shows it as ready to install again.

So now at least I know I'm working with the right directory, and there's something wrong with OpenERP reading what's in that directory.

I used the note_pad layout to create a slightly modified version of it and dropped it in the addons directory with a new folder name. No good. I took the "IDEA" addon and made a copy of it. Did a find and replace of all instances of 'idea' and replaced them with 'ideaz' (including filenames). OpenERP refuses to detect that folder no matter what, even though 'idea' works just fine.

I did try chmod 770 (foldername) -R - no change. Service restarts change nothing, nor do server restarts (not surprising though).

Everything else appears to be working fine. Does anybody have any ideas why this is happening?

I just installed it (7.0-20130515-231043) on my Windows 7 x64 desktop as a test and added my "ideaz" folder to the addons directory. OpenERP immediately recognized it, no problem. Looks like this is an issue with my install on Linux... but really would like to figure it out. Default installation directly from OpenERP.

Rob W
on 5/16/13, 12:31 PM

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 5/28/13, 8:45 PM

First, deleting an existing directory of an uninstalled addon ... does not remove it from the Modules list

Removing the module folder will have no effect on what shows up in the list.

When OpenERP is told to 'Update Modules List' it will store a database row for each module it finds on disk. The only way to delete these database entries is to remove them by deleting the module inside OpenERP.

You can delete all entries for uninstalled modules, then update the list. This will update the list to show only those modules on disk (not re-adding those that have been deleted).

Cameron

--Cameron--
| 6 5 8
United Kingdom
--Cameron--
Cameron
On 9/15/13, 8:40 PM

Well after a lot o hair pulling..

TO INSTALL A MODULE

Put your module here /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons

Change ownership of the module

sudo chown -R root.root /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons/module_name

Change permissions of the module

sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons/module_name -R

Update the module list 'Settings>Modules>Update Module List>Update'

Go to 'Settings>Modules>Installed' Modules Delete Installed from the filter and search for your module

TO DELETE A MODULE

Go to 'Settings>Modules>Installed' Modules Delete Installed from the filter and search for your module, select your module, select More>Delete

Delete your module

sudo rm -r /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp/addons/module_name

Update the module list 'Settings>Modules>Update' 'Module List>Update'

Go to 'Settings>Modules>Installed' Modules Delete Installed from the filter and search for your module - should not be there.

Antonio M. Vigliotti
On 11/15/14, 6:31 AM

Update the module list Settings>Modules>Update Module List>Update

checks for manifest file __openerp__.py and for directory ./static/

Some modules has not ./static/ directory

P Mittal
On 5/28/13, 11:25 PM

The same thing happened to me on my Linux (Ubuntu) Installation. I noticed that I was adding my custom-module to the wrong addons directory. When you install a .deb file, or using source the actual openerp installation lands up here by default:

/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/openerp/addons

This is where you are supposed to add your own module and NOT to the openerp source you downloaded initially.

Then run:

openerp-server

or

openerp-server --init=(your_module_name)

If this is not where your OpenERP is installed, then try finding the actual directory where your openerp installation resides and put your custom module there before you run the server.

Note: This is just one of the possible solution case to your problem.

Anthony Selby
On 1/9/14, 5:40 PM

So what do you do if the update module list option isn't there ?

Make your user a member of the Technical Features group. http://help.openerp.com/question/7650/how-to-activate-the-technical-features/

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 1/11/14, 12:44 PM

Brett Lehrer

--Brett Lehrer--
| 5 4 8
Milwaukee, United States
--Brett Lehrer--
Director of IT and open source enthusiast.
Brett Lehrer
On 5/16/13, 4:00 PM

You mentioned chmod but not chown. Are the user permissions correct? Not familiar with the .deb installer, but if it's in pyshared/ the module and contents may need to be owned by a certain user, root or maybe openerp?

The rest of the addons are owned by root:root, so are the new ones I added. I'm not sure this would explain OpenERP's behavior of retaining information on a deleted addons folder (one that wasn't installed) - when doing the same on my Windows install detects it all fine.

Rob W
on 5/16/13, 4:02 PM

Check the syntax on __init__.py and __openerp__.py? I can't think of much else that would prevent OpenERP from not reading a module folder. Try just renaming the folder for an uninstalled module, then altering the name in __openerp__.py to see if it finds the new module name?

Brett Lehrer
on 5/16/13, 4:10 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 5/16/13, 11:50 AM
Seen: 13837 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM