Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Open command line odoo.py in Windows

By
José
on 11/20/14, 2:35 PM 8,425 views

Hello, sorry if my question is very simple but I don't find the way to open a command line and run odoo.py commands (I learn about it in https://www.odoo.com/documentation/8.0/howtos/backend.html).

I have Odoo 7 and Windows XP 32 bits. I don't install Odoo 8 because I get an error when I try to run the application.

Kelly Stuart
On 11/22/14, 2:09 AM

Hi José. You'll want to use Windows' Command Prompt. Go to the Start Menu and in the search box at the bottom type "cmd". I just tested the scaffold command under Windows, and it is working fine.

(Also the install for Odoo 8 is working fine for me. Can you create another question that details the error you are receiving? I might be able to assist in fixing it.)

I will create a question for the installation error. I open the cmd, but when type "odoo.py" or "odoo.py scaffold" I get: "odoo.py is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I run it from "C:\Windows\System32" in XP 32 bits.

José
on 11/23/14, 1:49 PM

Make sure you start the command prompt with "Run as Administrator" (from its right click menu). Have you navigated to the directory where odoo.py is located? It's in the Server directory. Now type "odoo scaffold new_directory_name". If you get an error, something is still wrong. If you get no feedback, check the server directory for your new_directory_name.

Kelly Stuart
on 12/5/14, 6:57 AM

Oops, on Windows it is not "odoo.py" but "odoo.exe" that run from the Server directory. You shouldn't need to type the extension anyway.

Kelly Stuart
on 12/5/14, 6:58 AM
Hamid Darabi
On 11/20/14, 3:59 PM

You don't need command line in windows. There is different ways to follow the instructions in windows OS. For example to restart odoo you can use services/task manager (ctrl+alt+del). Also take a look at C:\Program Files (x86)\Odoo 8.0-20141021-000209\service folder. You might find some useful files like start.bat

I hope it helps

Ok, but for instance, how can I run odoo.py scaffold command? For more information see this link: https://www.odoo.com/documentation/8.0/howtos/backend.html

José
on 11/20/14, 5:26 PM

For this one I just copy an existing module and edit it :D

Analystik, Hamid Darabi
on 11/20/14, 5:53 PM

It solves this particular problem, but still I want to know how can invoke odoo.py commands. Thanks for your reply!

José
on 11/21/14, 6:10 AM
José
On 12/5/14, 3:36 PM

@Kelly Stuart, you are rigth.

To use command-line in Windows: Run as administrator the command line (cmd) and then navigate to "your_odoo_install_folder"/server and then run "odoo scaffold...."

Thanks!

You are welcome, José. I'm glad this worked for you. I agree that it is important to be able to invoke odoo commands just like on a Linux-based OS.

Kelly Stuart
on 12/5/14, 7:16 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 11/20/14, 2:35 PM
Seen: 8425 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM