What are the versions present in:
- Online with subscription
- Online demo without subscription, just registration.
- Nightly build, also known as the download version
Are these all the same? What is their relationship?
If you subscribe to the online version, will it be frozen? No bug fixes or updates applied without the administrator's approval? This would make sense for stability's sake but it could make it hard for host's tech support to manage.
The following is the policy since the release of v7 (it was different before):
- The downloadable version is/will be an LTS (Long Term Support) exclusively. There will not be intermediary releases anymore for downloadable versions. This means that everybody using OpenERP on premise will be using an LTS: v7.0, v8.0, v9.0,...
- Nightlies of an LTS contains bugfixes only. No new features. Same as always. This means that a recent nightly is more stable than an old nightly. Updating nightlies is good; LTS nightlies are not development branches. However, trunk nightlies are.
- When a new feature is developed, it is pushed on the SaaS only. The version on the SaaS is the equivalent of an intermediary, eg. v7.1 which contains new features compared to v7.0. It is not frozen. If you subscribe, it will evolve as new features are developed, just like gmail.
- The SaaS 30-days-trial is the same version as if you pay for it.
- The next LTS will contain the majority of the features that the SaaS users will have experienced until the LTS release.
Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!
About This Community
|Asked: 2/27/13, 12:58 AM|
|Seen: 1679 times|
|Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM|