Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Offline Installation of OpenERP(v 7) on Ubuntu

Vivek Dalal
on 4/8/14, 4:08 PM 1,890 views

Is it possible to have a package/ executable for OpenERP(v 7) which we can write on a CD and then install it on different PCs with Ubuntu OS? Also, I want to customize OpenERP as per my needs and then create the package or executable. So, ideally i would like to download the package from the site once, then make the changes which I want. After making the changes I want to create a new package which i can then write on a CD and install it on different machines. Thus, when I install it on other PC all my changes are already there. Any help would be most welcome Thanks in advance.

Brett Lehrer

--Brett Lehrer--
| 5 4 8
Milwaukee, United States
--Brett Lehrer--
Director of IT and open source enthusiast.
Brett Lehrer
On 4/10/14, 2:23 PM

Grab the source code here: http://nightly.openerp.com/7.0/nightly/src/openerp-7.0-latest.tar.gz

If you really want, add in some new modules for your customizations and package that back into your own tarball. Personally I'd recommend setting up an internal git server (or whichever VCS you'd prefer to use instead), then for each install push out the stock tarball and pull your custom module repo.

So, lets say I install openERP on my Linux system, make a few code/setting changes here and there, how do I go about pushing it into my "tarball"?. Another doubt was if I make the same changes on a windows instance of openERP and make the changes there, how can I push the changes onto the source code/tarball? Also this tarball built in windows, it can be used to install openERP in linux systems as well right?

Vivek Dalal
on 4/11/14, 1:03 PM

"Another doubt was if I make the same changes on a windows instance of openERP and make the changes there, how can I push the changes onto the source code/tarball?" That's why I mentioned a git server. Publish all of your custom code there, then you can pull it in each location where the system is running. Most code customizations should be platform independent, so a change on a Windows installation should be applicable to a Linux installation. If you don't know what a tarball (.tar) is, this project might be a bit too much for you to be able to handle effectively, IMO.

Brett Lehrer
on 4/11/14, 4:29 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 4/8/14, 4:08 PM
Seen: 1890 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM