This question has been flagged

I was setting up a backup script to change from a manual backup system to be automated and the script asked for pg_ctl to be used. In testing this Ubuntu said I did not have the package and should install postgres-xc to get it !!! What a mistake!! (and yes I am taking this up with ubuntu).

Anyway, I managed to replicate my dead database on a test server and fix the issue by uninstalling postgres-xc and reinstalling the postgresql packages....... BUT........

Now the server is very sluggish and the memory usage is at around 90% all the time, according to htop. Odoo front end and POS is running very slow both at startup and through regular use.

What can I do?

Install is Ubuntu14.04 with Odoo v8 on postgres 9.3. I have rebooted which seems to be OK for a bit but then whatever processes takeover memory start their trouble [it seems].

Also, there seems to be way too many odoo and postgres services running also? I just remember what was running prior to the accidental XC install so I am wondering if there are some legacy processes trying to run but can't?? not sure.

According to HTOP, it is the following processes that are using all the memory AND swap space, which was not happening before.

python /opt/odoo/odoo-server/openerp-server -c /etc/odoo-server.conf sitting about 24.8% and 9 instances

postgres: odoo SSW [local] idle sometimes very high but usually under 1%. There are about 15 instances of this and some say "in transaction" at the end.

Very little processor being used on most of these, the burden seems to be totally on memory. Is that a postgresql thing?

If there are any screenshots, dumps, logs you need, I am happy to accomodate.
Cheers in advance    

Discard