This question has been flagged

We are concerned about hosting the website on the same machine as our working Odoo instance. We would like to be able to separate traffic from the website and our internal business functions in the case web traffic slows our Odoo critical business functions. What would be the best solution? 

• Two Odoo servers (one for website, on for our work processes) that share a database?

• Two completely separate instances and databases that are set up to sync (I imagine this is a bit overkill)

• One Odoo instance and database with a reverse proxy server? Should a reverse proxy server be used anyway for security and perhaps caching the home page?

Discard
Best Answer

You can go for the same architecture Odoo started using when they needed scaling. There is a talk in the Odoo channel that  can help you solve your issue: https://youtu.be/A_BWyFeGgVA

Long story short: for separation you can replicate your server one-way on a web available server, and keep the business functions on a central server. Web can be balanced and replicated independently, according to your needs.

You can always do as you mentioned and ban certain URLs and methods through the reverse proxy, completely disabling whatever you feel is delicate information (ie, the @/web/database/manager url).

As for what is better suited to your case, it will depend on the traffic volume you get, but I would suggest starting with option 3. Just monitor it's performance, set up alerts on the right metrics and avoid making your infrastructure more complex until you really need it. Make sure the workers are set up correctly and backup regularly.

Good luck!

Discard
Author

Thanks for the prompt response and resources! I agree with option 3 and monitoring what happens.