Odoo Help

3 Answers

Ray Carnes United States

--Ray Carnes--
| 10 7 11
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Business Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0; Odoo 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0.

Completed Odoo Functional and Technical Training.

Functional Areas:

• CRM/Sales

• Inventory

• Manufacturing

• Accounting

• Purchasing

Major Skills:

• Business Process Reengineering

• Efficiency Consulting

• User Needs and GAP Analysis;

• Functional and Technical Design;

• Prototyping and Proof of Concepts;

• Requirements Specifications;

• Agile Implementation;

• Data Migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and code);

• Integration - Odoo and non Odoo Applications and Services;

• Training and Knowledge Transfer;

• Go Live Support;

• Helpdesk;

• Version Upgrades and Migration.

• Accounting Expert.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

I am a skilled Communicator and I only take the serious things seriously!

Ray Carnes United States
5/23/18, 11:54 AM

To complete this thread, I am posting the response from Odoo via the ticket that I logged:

Pulling the Odoo source code *never* requires any module to be upgraded to avoid crashes - that's the entire point of our stable policy.

Basically, 3 types of files can be changed in a bugfix:
- Python files (e.g. method changes, etc. without any database model change - server restart is sufficient)
- JS Files (server restart is sufficient to trigger assets minification etc.)
- XML Files (module upgrade usually necessary to enjoy the fix but not doing so will not cause any error)

Since the error does not append anymore, it's basically impossible to say what exactly happened in your case. However the issue is clearly on the JS side; one culprit could simply be that the assets you had in your browser cache were no longer matching the latest from the server (this is in practice unverifiable).  In any case, a module update for a JS error is never needed (it's a canon to kill a fly as we say in French); your module update fixed the problem (most probably) by regenerating the assets but that's more of a side effect.

Regarding your best practices, there is nothing to do on your end; the code gets update every monday and odoo.sh instances restart regularly by themselves after some inactivity. The whole point of Odoo.sh is that you should *not* worry about this; it seems you had an unfortunate experience that, understandably, erroded your trust a bit.

Since I cannot inspect the matter at this time, I'm afraid you can only take my word for it - should the problem happen again in the future, do not hesitate to switch to the 'assets' debug mode where Javascript files are not minified, which make the traceback possible to analyse (by appending ?debug=assets after the /web url). As it is, I'm afraid there's nothing more we can do.

My conclusion
The management of updates to Odoo.sh matches my expectations and I am happy with the information I received from Odoo.  I have had no further issues from this particular database, and none of our other databases (dozens) hosted on Odoo.sh were affected.  At this point, I believe it was just a glitch and have moved on since there is no way to determine what actually happened. 

Denis Ledoux (dle) Belgium

--Denis Ledoux (dle)--
| 5 5 12
Ramillies, Belgium
--Denis Ledoux (dle)--

Denis Ledoux (dle) Belgium
5/15/18, 3:13 PM

Hi Ray,

Well, that is true, we apply the same policy than on the regular online platform (saas): Updating odoo/odoo and odoo/enterprise stable releases (10.0 & 11.0 at the moment) every Monday, for latest bug fixes.

That said, these revisions pushed in stable releases are supposed to be stable, meaning no database structure changes and no API changes (no changes in methods signature or expected returned results).
https://github.com/odoo/odoo/wiki/Contributing#what-does-stable-mean

Therefore, these updates shouldn't require any upgrades and no custom code changes.

I am interested to know why you hadto upgrade the base module. Can you elaborate what was the trouble ?

1 Comment
Ray Carnes United States
5/15/18, 4:33 PM

Hi Denis. I opened ticket 1848379 - basically users got a JAVASCRIPT error when entering the CRM App. All I know at this point is that upgrading BASE resolved the issue.

Ask a Question
Writer
Keep Informed
1 follower(s)
About This Community

This platform is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Register
Odoo Training Center

Access to our E-learning platform and experience all Odoo Apps through learning videos, exercises and Quizz.

Test it now