Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

odoo on ubuntu - system user 'odoo' has no password. is this correct?

By
gunnar
on 9/19/14, 10:12 PM 1,738 views

I have installed odoo v8 based on this script

It seems the user 'odoo' has no password (at least in my installation) and I wonder whether this:

1. is how it is supposed to be ?
  2. a good idea in terms of safety ?

any ideas?

Ben Bernard

--Ben Bernard--
| 4 3 6
Jakarta, Indonesia
--Ben Bernard--
Ben Bernard
On 9/28/14, 11:05 PM

It's ok to have system user with no password. Some limitations are

• can be used only by root
  • no ssh access

so that means: it is ok to have such a passwordless user, but it also wouldn't break anything or reduce security to assign a password, right? For example it could be a security feature that you can not access to the 'odoo' user by ssh

gunnar
on 9/28/14, 11:38 PM

It wouldn't break anything, but it would make things less secure. A passwordless user is more secure than a user with a password - this user can NEVER login, just run services.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 9/28/14, 11:44 PM

That user will never exposed to the end user, so I think it's safe enough. Root still can login as user with no password if that user is given a proper shell, like bash (ehm.. shellshock). To make the user not available for login, use /sbin/nologin as command/shell for that user in /etc/passwd.

Ben Bernard
on 9/29/14, 12:12 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 9/19/14, 10:12 PM
Seen: 1738 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM